• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you style shorts?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adopting this accessory as an adolescent emulating skater culture in the 1990's, my father sternly advised me accordingly "you know that's gay, right?"

Wait, you're around my age?

Good lord.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, you’re not so young anymore.

I'm not young. I'm middle-aged. From your diction and views, I thought you were in your 80s or something.

Anyway, all I have to say on the matter. I bid you a good day, sir! *tips fedora*

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm not young. I'm middle-aged. From your diction and views, I thought you were in your 80s or something.

Anyway, all I have to say on the matter. I bid you a good day, sir! *tips fedora*
Until next time, Mr. Workwear. Enjoy your day.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I’ve perceived that I am treated with more deference and respect when wearing a suit and tie. People single me out on the street to ask for directions, I intimidate young charity solicitors who almost always pick another target behind me, I seem to have priority with waitstaff and bartenders, and I don’t think it entirely coincidental that most of my 1st date lays happened when I showed up after work, wearing a suit.

Whether to wear shorts in casual settings (meaning, among friends and loved ones at informal events) is a matter of comfort in hot weather, not outward appearances. I would wholly agree that if presenting a sharp outward appearance is called for, say, for business, for evening events, or social events that require making good first impressions or showing respect, long pants are better. But well-fitted shorts do not become prohibited past an arbitrary age milestone.

There’s another thread discussing a 39 year old man wearing Nike sneakers casually. The sneaker in question looks more appropriate at the gym than on a man pushing 40 out around town. It doesn’t mean men his age cannot wear sneakers, provided they better reflect the dignity and maturity of a man his age. Some would say casual sneakers period are proscribed once a man has hair on his nutsack. Most reasonable opinions would suggest more sophisticated alternatives, which is why style forums exist.
What is the typical age for hair on the nutsack?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to pick shorts of bright color. Add some accents to your outfit.
Another way is to combine them with an oversize sweater and a pair of sneakers. Finally, try looking online for some unusual designs. Just make sure to the correct measurements for that. Here's a guide that might help improvingeachday.com .In 2021, long and slightly above the knee is the way to go. Add white heels and a patterned knit to keep them from seeming too surfer's bum. Experiment with patterns, don't be afraid to mix it up!

Add white heels?? :paranoia:

toin

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread as I'm new here, but does anyone know a brand that sells shorts similar to Joyce?
1625053355555.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread as I'm new here, but does anyone know a brand that sells shorts similar to Joyce?
View attachment 1632595

I've looked but haven't found anything. They really had the perfect cut-- baggy and short. They also used really nice materials, like heavy linens and a Tencel blend.

If I was to look again, I would prob check somewhere like SSENSE.

toin

Reaction score
I've checked and it seems that de bonne facture, schnaydermans and commas do styles that are in the vain of Joyce. AKOG also have their Sangha shorts which I really like.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've checked and it seems that de bonne facture, schnaydermans and commas do styles that are in the vain of Joyce. AKOG also have their Sangha shorts which I really like.

I haven't looked, but DBF, Schnaydermans, and AKOG do sound like the kind of brands that would have this sort of cut.

For me, the Joyce shorts were great because they were genuinely baggy and fairly short (like 5" inseam). The interior was roughly finished, but they were affordable. And they used great materials/ colors.

I think if you get shorts that are fairly baggy and have that / \ silhouette, then you can shorten them a little, if you find they're too long. Most shorts nowadays are too slim and tapered for my taste.

toin

Reaction score
It's pretty hard judging from some webstores if they indeed have that silhouette, as some come in similar materials/shades but I'm not sure how they would look worn. A quick search gave me the following options, perhaps you and others could scratch their Joyce shorts itch with them as well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's pretty hard judging from some webstores if they indeed have that silhouette, as some come in similar materials/shades but I'm not sure how they would look worn. A quick search gave me the following options, perhaps you and others could scratch their Joyce shorts itch with them as well.

Schnaydermans look the closest but the rise is weirdly long? I would probably buy those just to try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads