• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you style shorts?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the outfit on the left here can be worn by someone over the age of 30.

highxtar-aime-leon-dore.jpg

And then paired with this sneaker

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 10.32.55 AM.png

I agree this is not something you'd want to wear as a doctor, lawyer, or dentist. Or if you're going to a fancy restaurant. But most people don't work in professions that require tailored clothing, and they don't spend all their time in such upscale places. For hanging out in your neighborhood, going to cafes, and running errands, I think the above outfit is fine.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, by no means was I trying to suggest that shorts or sneakers aren’t appropriate in some settings. I was responding to what I thought was @dieworkwear ’s opinion that one should not dress for others.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yes, by no means was I trying to suggest that shorts or sneakers aren’t appropriate in some settings. I was responding to what I thought was @dieworkwear ’s opinion that one should not dress for others.

Fair enough. In professional environments, especially if it's an important meeting, I try to dress appropriately. I wouldn't wear my Schott double rider jacket to the office because my clothes would become a distraction. Although, I know a woman (an actual motorcyclist) who wore leather jackets to the same office and I thought it was fine. This is an academic environment, so perhaps the rules are more permissive. She was a researcher at this office, not an administrator, and I think everyone took her work seriously (she was certainly well-liked and respected).

Same with other "serious" environments. I would try to dress appropriately at weddings, funerals, etc. Although, I've seen people wear shockingly casual things to such environments. But I would try to dress in a way that I felt was respectful of the occasion.

In everyday life, I mostly go about my day doing very mundane things. I go to the cafe, get groceries, run errands, pick up cat food, etc. It doesn't bother me to wear clothes for my own enjoyment, so long as my clothes aren't offensive to others.

I have Kapital's Ring coat. I assume other people think it makes me look like a hobo (the company's styles are inspired by folk clothing, including some hobo-type looks). It's not "respectable" clothing, but it makes me feel good when I wear it. I'm well past the age of 30 and I think it's fine for my age. Many members on the SWD side of the board are over the age of 30 and I think they also dress well for their lifestyle and environments.

tumblr_inline_oytj7zc1qW1qfex1b_540.jpg

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
If you want to be like the golden era of men’s wear, don’t be afraid to pair Oxford shoes with shorts and no socks. As a general rule of thumb it’s a good look.

B3960703-BD2B-4635-B1B4-316216E6E1EE.jpeg

Allen Edmonds is pushing this look this summer.

BE4F4C32-7EC0-4E55-8634-06D588AD9125.jpeg

rjc149

Reaction score
If you want to be like the golden era of men’s wear, don’t be afraid to pair Oxford shoes with shorts and no socks. As a general rule of thumb it’s a good look.

View attachment 1625805

Allen Edmonds is pushing this look this summer.

View attachment 1625806
The race/status power dynamic in the illustration is really quite fascinating. Ostensibly wealthy middle-aged white men on their yacht, preparing to toss “alms” to the black individuals, indifferently illustrated and only enough to show that they are primitive “island dwellers,” who have excitedly leapt from their raft to receive — or, for the entertainment of their amused benefactors, fight over — the charity.

The underlying assertion of racial dominance and status in this advertisement has endured in the general perception that white men who wear dress shoes and tucked shirts in leisure settings are WASPy and pretentious, perhaps with darker, more problematic implications as to where they see themselves relative to others in society.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
It's thigh-guy summer, gentlemen:

It can be argued that the length of a man's shorts may be an expression of his sexual orientation. Athletic attire aside, a man prominently displaying his thighs and buttocks in short, form-fitting shorts is assumed to be doing so in order to attract the attention of other men.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be argued that the length of a man's shorts may be an expression of his sexual orientation. Athletic attire aside, a man prominently displaying his thighs and buttocks in short, form-fitting shorts is assumed to be doing so in order to attract the attention of other men.

How about women who enjoy admiring sculpted quadriceps and calves?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Narrow-minded in ways beyond whether peak lapels are appropriate on an overcoat, I see. At least you’re consistent.

rjc149

Reaction score
How about women who enjoy admiring sculpted quadriceps and calves?
I'm sure they do enjoy it. The orientation assumption doesn't ring true in all instances, as Milo Ventimiglia is a heterosexual man who has enjoyed relationships with a hit parade of beautiful women. But if I knew nothing else about him, and he was wearing short shorts that advertised his thighs and buttocks, I might think it possible that he's gay.

rjc149

Reaction score
Narrow-minded in ways beyond whether peak lapels are appropriate on an overcoat, I see. At least you’re consistent.
Yeah I'm also getting the sense that I could be on the wrong forum.

rjc149

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't Grindr so just because you have guys who workout and wear shorts doesn't mean that they want to hook up with you.
I work out and wear shorts, just a matter of how much 'skin' I want to show off.

My position is that short shorts that advertise a man's lower regions is colloquially associated with gay subculture. Are you challenging me for noting that association, or are you challenging the straw man that I've now deemed fit men wearing shorts in general to be gay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads