• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you style shorts?

Reaction score
I don’t really know how to style shorts or what type of shorts I should get and I’m looking for advice. Im about 5’5 and most of the shirts are have go really well with jeans. I’ve tried looking for guides and what other people at my school wear but when I’m in short of a rack of shorts I have no idea what to get.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some additional thoughts on shorts:
  • Unless you're actually hiking/backpacking I would avoid cargo shorts
  • My preference is for shirts to be un-tucked with shorts - if you go this route you want shorter shirts - it looks a bit sloppy if the shirt is too long
  • footwear to match depends on how casual you want to go and what you'll actually be doing:
    • Loafers (e.g. penny loafers)
    • Tennis shoes (my least favorite option)
    • boat shoes (if you prefer the preppy look)
    • Sandals or Flip-flops for ultra-casual
  • If you're going to be in high heat and/or a lot of physical activity you want to look at shorts designed with purpose not just fashion.
    • For example, on my beach vacations I have some shorts made by Billabong (they make board shorts) - great technology that is light and can get wet and dries quickly for when I'm going to be physically active and around water.
    • For hiking / camping I have various shorts that are technical in nature
    • For the rest - I prefer chino-style shorts
  • Shirts:
    • For casual wear when it's hot, I like linen or silk button downs - they're lighter and more breathable than cotton.
    • For ultra casual I still like t-shirts.
    • As with wearing shirts with pants, make sure the shirt is properly fitted to your body shape - not too loose or too tight (unless you really have the muscle tone to pull off a tight shirt)

rjc149

Reaction score
This advice is intended for an older person. If you're in school, you're young, and you have more latitude with how you dress.

For street wear, go with chino shorts that end 1-2 inches above the knee, and are tapered down to the opening. You don't want shorts that bell out (giving a pyramid shape) or cover the knee. You want them to be smaller, shorter, and more fitted. If you're 5'5, large baggy shorts will emphasize your modest stature.

Don't wear cargo shorts for street wear. Hiking only. And avoid jean shorts if you can -- especially if they were formerly long pants.

With footwear, you want to go with a slimmer, more understated sneaker that is intended for casual wear -- not exercise. Again, you're young so you can be a little louder with your footwear. I personally have wide feet so the canvas Sperry/Vans/Converse or leather "fashion sneaker" don't work for me. I wear a pair of suede New Balance vintage-style sneakers with shorts.

Make sure your socks don't rise above your ankles. You want to give your legs the appearance of being long and slender, which is flattering. Ankle socks or tube socks will break that continuous smooth line from your hip to your ankle, and make your legs appear shorter and stubbier.

Since I never wear sandals or flip-flops anywhere but inside my apartment or in a sketchy shower stall, I can't recommend them as street footwear with shorts. There are studies showing that your feet get covered with an absolute f--kton of disgusting bacteria and filth if wearing sandals out and about. It also limits mobility. Not sure why it's so popular. But it is.

If you're a boat shoe guy, go with no-show socks. I can't recommend going sockless, since my buddy does that and his shoes smell like decomposition and anus when he removes them. I can smell his feet when we're at the bar. But if you want to go sockless, go there. I suppose it's stylish. Same goes for loafers.

Personally, I don't ever tuck shirts into shorts -- shorts are ultra-casual summer lounge wear, and tucking a shirt is an attempt at formality that I feel is out of place with shorts at best, and pretentious at worst.

Any shirt intended to be worn untucked goes well with shorts. I like long-sleeved linen shirts with the sleeves rolled up and a tank top underneath.

I like canvas belts for shorts. It's more comfortable and breathable, and again, the belt should be covered with your shirt anyways.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
I am updating my shorts with Mr Marvis pique waffle shorts, they will complement my new Rivieras. I have plenty of Smedley and Sunspel Polo's and lightweight linen and cotton shirts.

MR_MARVIS_-_PIQUES_-_The_Gazettes_DTL2_720x720.jpg
mr_marvis_the-gazettes-pique_pck_f1_1x1_white_720x720.jpg
riv_cha_1070_sh20_969a7e9c-c162-470e-ac82-b6ec2f07226a_1000x1000.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally like short shorts that flare out a little. Shorts that are about mid-thigh and have a 5" or 6" inseam (I'm 5'10" and normally wear a 30" inseam). I think when the leg flares out, it gives the illusion of leg muscles. Also just looks sportier to me.

195894005_306930907705443_3101237439178377544_n.jpg

I think those sorts of things can be worn with camp collar shirts, Cuban collar shirts, looser linen shirts, etc. I wear them with Vans slip-ons or huaraches.

I also love the look of short shorts with a long-sleeved knitted top. Something like a thin sweater in the early spring months or a long-sleeved tee in the summertime. Harrison Ford wore this once to a film festival. Love the look.

96293238_3191646417567548_6146980575792526107_n.jpg

I personally struggled with shorts when I tried to stay too conservative. At that point, the look just doesn't feel comfortable to me. Almost made me feel like a schoolboy. Like these long chino shorts with a polo.

e84524f6446ffb25899f7c616d0e3bee.jpeg

I think when building a casualwear wardrobe, you just have to find what resonates with you. Every niche has its own look for shorts. If you're into workwear, you can wear Freenote Cloth's deck shorts with a stout white tee. If you're into sportier looks, Patagonia Baggies look great with long-sleeved tees. If you're into prep, you can wear those sorts of chino shorts with a polo.

Sounds corny, but I would go by your eye and what emotionally resonates with you. Some examples of short outfits I like:

tumblr_1a495ac563c2c7f8f85c8cedd3e7ca6a_7644b723_540.jpg
tumblr_07d22397f9429951a96d1405e815c915_09893b79_540.jpg
tumblr_d10e09c8d8320c7fe5daaed7c7c57cf2_4d4ec767_540.jpg
tumblr_9995a94524144daf89764ca3bdd71caf_b1cc4333_540.jpg
tumblr_5f734a2686f9d5c1048794b38a02d2f3_997b4de5_1280.jpg
tumblr_24f9daeb29ecb894399171c34b82657a_1c9f2bd5_1280.jpg
tumblr_ea0b04c56884284d3e8797b9f8113486_e9730547_540.jpg
tumblr_8ee6c0c13cae17d62c1fbb75afc85f35_ad775386_540.jpg

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fits posted, but I have a hard time with the shorts+jacket or shorts+sweatshirt in practice. If it's warm enough for shorts, rarely is it cool enough to tolerate a sweatshirt or jacket. Maybe just me, but there is probably only about a 3 degree temp range where those fits would work.

Reactions: MaE

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the fits posted, but I have a hard time with the shorts+jacket or shorts+sweatshirt in practice. If it's warm enough for shorts, rarely is it cool enough to tolerate a sweatshirt or jacket. Maybe just me, but there is probably only about a 3 degree temp range where those fits would work.

I find it works in temps between 65 and 75. That's much of the Bay Area during this time of year.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on environment. In some climates or times of year you can have a 20 degree temperature swing. So layering is important. If you ever go to a high desert climate or Midwest US in the Spring/fall this is pretty common

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it works in temps between 65 and 75. That's much of the Bay Area during this time of year.

Makes sense, and I could probably live with it in that range, if it wasn't humid. But honestly, I'm still wearing trousers until it gets near 80.

rjc149

Reaction score
Same, if the daytime high is over 75 F then I’ll wear shorts. 65 to 75, chinos. 65 or below, jeans or chinos. I generally keep my shorts in storage from Labor Day to Memorial Day unless there are unseasonably hot weekends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads