• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you study?

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
You don't even write that down? I never used to write anything down either, but people gave me the impression that that was somehow treasonous so I started just writing what the professor writes. But I know many people who constantly write while the professor is talking.
confused.gif

No, I rarely write many notes, may be I'll write a few problems we go over down so I can look at them as examples. It used to kill me on a few tests for general education credits when teachers would purposely test on random facts they had given during lecture. In my major, you need to "learn stuff", so it's a bit easier to get by as long as I pay attention to what material I need to go over. It's an admittedly horrible habit to be in. I should also note I learn by reading, not listening. In fact, when I get in the habit of learning the material before lectures, I find teachers are often not able to articulate the concepts very well and confuse the already stupid students.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Study = adderall. Writing papers = alchohol.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Am I the only person who only writes down what the professor writes on the whiteboard?

yup, that was what I did too. Got through the vast majority of my degree without buying a single book.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Show up to class, take the notes the prof gives, do your readings, if a class requiring equations, do your problem sets until the formula are second nature. All I ever needed to do, excluding the dreaded "group work" any MBA requires.

inq89

Reaction score
Blackboard is your friend. I print the notes before class and annotate during lecture. Many professors post old exams. I've saved time and money by studying off of these two resources. Now that I'm in professional school, I'm pretty sure I can still get away with not buying most of the textbooks, though I'll probably study more than I did in undergrad.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I study poorly. Take too many breaks and those breaks end up taking an hour instead of 10-15 minutes like I planned.

Can't study in the library cause I'm fairly sure I have undiagnosed/untreated ADD (not ADHD). I am very, very easily distracted by things around me such as pages turning in other people's books. As such, don't usually partake in group study although I have found that explaining things to people is what makes it stick the most. It shows up where I have shortcomings and gaps that I thought I knew from simply reading. Having to go back and and check those things for a specific purpose tends to make it stay in my long-term memory the most. Repetition is key as well.

For my board exams, I read and did a shitload of practice questions. I'm trying to prep for my Step III exam right now (two days - 8 hours each) and got started before residency. Currently at around 1400 questions and counting. It sucks.

jerryhoyo

Reaction score
I usually just study with my friends. I feel the best way to study is when others ask you questions. That way you can really test yourself if you know everything and you'll also be helping your friends out. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone =D

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
I am a predominantly math student so it's just a lot of repetition. I print off the old exams and do them all over and over and over. I barely ever crack my text books, although I certainly should.

Arcanaville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Osmosis by sleeping on the textbook.

i swear this works. i had to memorize part of the raven and when i went to bed i didn't know it, then when i woke up i knew every single word. ******* creepy.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arcanaville
i swear this works. i had to memorize part of the raven and when i went to bed i didn't know it, then when i woke up i knew every single word. ******* creepy.

It's an old trick to practice memorization right before falling asleep, it works very very well. That's how I got through Romeo and Juliet as Friar Lawrence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads