• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your watches

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a case perhaps, or something else that can nicely store a bunch of nice watches?...How do you store your watches?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
collection12iq1.jpg

Orbita Teak 12-watch storage box

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love your Daniel Roth. That brand gets way too little attention with the Timezone crowd. Unfortunately they're a little too small for my wrist.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh...very nice...i like the case for metal straps...

are these custom made? or store available?

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but along similar lines, has anyone purchased or currently use a watch winder? If so, what model or make? Ebay is flooded with winders, but I am skeptical of the quality of these. Between my wife and I we have several automatic watches that are not in daily use and I have been told that leaving them for extended period and the using them again is not the best for the watch. Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Not to hijack the thread, but along similar lines, has anyone purchased or currently use a watch winder? If so, what model or make? Ebay is flooded with winders, but I am skeptical of the quality of these. Between my wife and I we have several automatic watches that are not in daily use and I have been told that leaving them for extended period and the using them again is not the best for the watch. Thanks.
I would not go that far. I have actually stopped winding every evening all my mechanical watches. I enjoyed doing it (yes, I am weird) but decided after reading lots of posts on various fora and articles, it will basically just sped up the wear and tear unnecessarily. Here is my take: don't let them languish for weeks on end as the oil's viscosity may start getting adversely affected. But constantly winding them only produces more wear and tear. Even more important for higher end watches. They often have much tighter tolerances in construction and are less robust. I would not do that with PP, Rolex, Omega, et.c. and would be especially careful to let them run every so often as servicing is VERY expensive. Does not mean that they won't run if left alone in a draw for years. The handwound watch I am wearing now I bought a year or so ago, NOS from 1990. Was sitting in a warehouse for about 15 years or so and still works perfectly without ever having been serviced. Disclaimer: I only own two automatic watches - I prefer handwound watches.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on the winder was an intermediate fix. I would use one to wind the watches on a pattern, but not daily. We currently have four automatic, and I have two manual winds. I recently took my Chopard in for service and overhaul and i am awaiting a bill, not all that excited to see what it is going to be. Maybe your theory is right in that the Chopard was my daily wear, while the others languised in the drawer, screaming to be worn. I have since swithced to an atomic Casio, man does that thing keep good time!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on the winder was an intermediate fix. I would use one to wind the watches on a pattern, but not daily. We currently have four automatic, and I have two manual winds. I recently took my Chopard in for service and overhaul and i am awaiting a bill, not all that excited to see what it is going to be. Maybe your theory is right in that the Chopard was my daily wear, while the others languised in the drawer, screaming to be worn. I have since swithced to an atomic Casio, man does that thing keep good time!

The solution to wearing a watch too much is to acquire so many that you find it difficult to wear the same one over and over again
biggrin.gif

Pundit

Reaction score

I have been using an Orbita winder for 4 years with good results. My impression when I purchased it was that it was less ornate (and therefore less expensive) than the italian versions, but much more substantial than the simple/exposed winders selling for much less.

I typically have a sport watch and dressier watch in rotation and will have one on my wrist and the other on the winder. My other watches (mostly PP) are in a convenient safe.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The watch featured in my little box is actually an homage to Daniel Roth. It's an expensive German handwind with a vintage Lorsa movement. Pretty charcoal dial though, and it looks nice with an aftermarket Tiffany's lizard strap.

2) I like Orbita products for both winders and boxes. Quality is very high and the prices are about half of Scatola. Softwind also makes nice winders, but their products arent nearly as pretty.

3) I let watches sit for about a month before I wear them. The black UN GMT is probably the least frequently worn. My daily wearer is an inexpensive Oris that isnt pictured. Actually, I need to pick up another cheap quartz.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I bought a faux-mahogany 12-watch display box off of e-bay for $30. I have had it for 3 years and it is in great shape. There are tons of them on there....

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah..I shall look into it. Problem is I'm in HK so I've got to scout out storebought solutions so I can get them next time I visit the US? Have no idea where to get in HK..

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to keen on the second case, doesn't look built for watches...

The first one looks like what I'm looking for....I think I shall take these pictures and go custom make one!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads