• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your ties?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above about the merits of rolling, but the BIG disadvantage is the space it takes up, which is especially important if you're a confirmed clothes horse.

Personally I'd rather let two hanging tie racks, taking about 4 inches of closet space, do the job of a 5-shelf tie pantry like Nexus', nice as it looks!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong, but whenever I leave my ties rolled up for longer than a day or so, they get incredibly curled and resistant to hanging flat/straight when I unroll them. I may be rolling them too tightly, but this happens even when I roll them as loosely as I think can be done without unravelling the roll.

Nowadays I'll roll my ties up for 24 hours or so after wearing them, then hang them up. I've never had any problems with hanging ties, but I have had problems with leaving ties rolled for too long.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I must be doing something wrong, but whenever I leave my ties rolled up for longer than a day or so, they get incredibly curled and resistant to hanging flat/straight when I unroll them. I may be rolling them too tightly, but this happens even when I roll them as loosely as I think can be done without unravelling the roll.

Nowadays I'll roll my ties up for 24 hours or so after wearing them, then hang them up. I've never had any problems with hanging ties, but I have had problems with leaving ties rolled for too long.

I fold them into forth, then roll them, they don't curl at all.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I have 8 hanging tie racks, one large tie rack (wall mounted), and several ties rolled up in boxes.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I agree with the above about the merits of rolling, but the BIG disadvantage is the space it takes up, which is especially important if you're a confirmed clothes horse.

Personally I'd rather let two hanging tie racks, taking about 4 inches of closet space, do the job of a 5-shelf tie pantry like Nexus', nice as it looks!

Tie Pantry....Oh i like that!
rotflmao.gif

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
Nice collection Nexus!

Thank you 187.
wink.gif

Just for clarity,
I respect everyones personal method of storage.

I have done the tie racks in the past.
The problem (for me) is that I had to fiddle too much afterwards putting them all back,
so I got myself a used shelving unit.
For me, regardless of the real estate used in my room, I prefer this.
It is 100x faster to grab a tie, or put one back.
I fold the tie once, then roll. Never had a problem yet with after effects of rolling,
as long as they are not rolled tight.

I would like to see photos of how others are storing their ties.
It's not a competition, but would enrich everyone to see more photos
of how we all store our clothes..

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a rotating ahnger, two actuall that hold the first 120 and the rest I have on a wooden rack.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of those hanger-things with plastic clips -- I use it by taking the tie off the front clip (unless it would be too gross with my chosen shirt for the day) and return it to the back at the end of the day so as to create a rotation.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i simply fold them in half and lay them flat and overlapping in a drawer. That way i can tell the width and pattern by looking at them. I have maybe 30 in a drawer. I dont feel i need as many as the majority of the posters on this board however.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 of these in a room that Lady C and I converted to a closet, 4 hold ties and 1 holds squares, in the 100cm size each hold 24 ties I believe: www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60103383

I shall try to remember to post a photo tonight.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to switch to a handful of horizontal bar/rods screwed to the side of the closet - anyone know where I could buy these? Like towel bars but shorter - likely wood too.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I want to switch to a handful of horizontal bar/rods screwed to the side of the closet - anyone know where I could buy these? Like towel bars but shorter - likely wood too.

How about something like these?

41C2aCRi8dL._AA280_.jpg
51O2kmBCTKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads