• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your denims?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this on a similar note has been a concern of mine as well:

the retailer many times stock and keep and ship their raw denim items folded (of course there is no other way).

now let say these raw denims were stored for long periods of time, bought on sale , shipped folded,

wouldnt after the first wash the fades would also appear at the lines of the fold since they were kept in that position for perhaps 4 months or so for example?

samurai

Reaction score
I usually fold my jeans, keeping 2 or 3 pair in rotation at a time. I get fade lines, but they don't bother me, as they are a mark of natural wear.

Q - Why are "whiskers" considered desirable but fade lines not - it's all part of normal wear... Larry.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
this on a similar note has been a concern of mine as well:

the retailer many times stock and keep and ship their raw denim items folded (of course there is no other way).

now let say these raw denims were stored for long periods of time, bought on sale , shipped folded,

wouldnt after the first wash the fades would also appear at the lines of the fold since they were kept in that position for perhaps 4 months or so for example?

I doubt it. Once you really wear the denim enough to get EPIC FADEZ those storage creases should be long gone even if the denim is heavily starched. You could even hang them for a while. Gravity can sort of undo the creases before you start wearing them. From what I have read you just sort of got into raw denim so you probably havent really experienced to many fades. Fading doesnt really happen from just a crease. When your jeans have molded to how your body wears them and whiskers and honeycombs (points of stress) set in they fade by constantly folding and unfolding not just from being creased.

I hope that kind of helps

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I doubt it. Once you really wear the denim enough to get EPIC FADEZ those storage creases should be long gone even if the denim is heavily starched. You could even hang them for a while. Gravity can sort of undo the creases before you start wearing them. From what I have read you just sort of got into raw denim so you probably havent really experienced to many fades. Fading doesnt really happen from just a crease. When your jeans have molded to how your body wears them and whiskers and honeycombs (points of stress) set in they fade by constantly folding and unfolding not just from being creased. I hope that kind of helps
Agreed. Though shoe, IIRC you said you also store your jeans the same way (folded away). I think if you unfolded and refolded your jeans every day you wore them a line would most likely appear (though probably much lighter than most other fading). Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I don't fold my denimz.
Originally Posted by WayneGibbous
Hang them? Sheeeyit I usually just throw them in a pile...
This on the other hand is how I store mine.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been folding my denim for a while with no sign of weird geometric fades. And my method is never precise, just a version of the three-fold that's bastardized differently depending on the day. This theoretically puts my whiskers/honeycombs at risk, but I never put enough pressure on my folded jeans to cause problems. Really, with your body creasing the jeans in the same way every time you wear them, a short time span of being folded shouldn't obstruct the path to fun fades.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I doubt it. Once you really wear the denim enough to get EPIC FADEZ those storage creases should be long gone even if the denim is heavily starched. You could even hang them for a while. Gravity can sort of undo the creases before you start wearing them. From what I have read you just sort of got into raw denim so you probably havent really experienced to many fades. Fading doesnt really happen from just a crease. When your jeans have molded to how your body wears them and whiskers and honeycombs (points of stress) set in they fade by constantly folding and unfolding not just from being creased.

I hope that kind of helps

Originally Posted by onion
Agreed.

Though shoe, IIRC you said you also store your jeans the same way (folded away). I think if you unfolded and refolded your jeans every day you wore them a line would most likely appear (though probably much lighter than most other fading). Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I don't fold my denimz.

This on the other hand is how I store mine.

Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
I've been folding my denim for a while with no sign of weird geometric fades. And my method is never precise, just a version of the three-fold that's bastardized differently depending on the day. This theoretically puts my whiskers/honeycombs at risk, but I never put enough pressure on my folded jeans to cause problems. Really, with your body creasing the jeans in the same way every time you wear them, a short time span of being folded shouldn't obstruct the path to fun fades.

thanks. understood. basically the fades occur at repeated folding and unfolding at the high stress points i.e. the limbs: knee and lap

not just from a folded jean, even if stayed that way for several months, because there is no real stress exerted at the crease from any movement and refolding and unfolding.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put me down as one of the throw on the floor guys. Dekayate's method of hanging them does look kinda cool but I'm too lazy and can't be bothered.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, that method looks like an orgy of invisible men during Pride Month

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one thing i can say is my unraw jeans has never got any fade creases from folding, have yours?
so it really isn't a likely scenario

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
one thing i can say is my unraw jeans has never got any fade creases from folding, have yours?
so it really isn't a likely scenario

yeah. i dont care about my washed denims like diesel and 7fam. those i just pile up or put away in a drawer.
it's the premium raw ones i was concerned about.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
typically i dont fold mine though, they all lay in a pile on top of one another flat

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually I wake up in a daze and have to figure out where all of my clothes went.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I used to hang my jeans up each night, now I leave them on the floor in various spots.
Usually they turn into the doormat for my bedroom.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they are new I pamper them like an excited child. Then after a few wears the usually end up on the floor or tossed over a chair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads