• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you stop your pant legs from getting stained in heavy snow/slush?

stylemeup

Reaction score
Whenever I got out in heavy snow/slush, my pant legs end up getting these ugly pasty white stains on them from the bottom of my pants to about 8 inches up the legs.

How do you prevent this from happening to you?

If this does happen to you, then what do you do once you get inside and notice that this has happened to you?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuck your pants in your boots
confused.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a car to go with those nice pants. Park indoors.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
i dont think there's any way around prevention. when it is snowing or raining or likely to snow or rain, don't wear pants that you wouldn't mind getting roughed up a bit

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a solution to this a while back, but it fell out of popularity with the rise of the automobile. Blame whomever you like. I'll blame the hipsters.

shooting-pic8.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
Whenever I got out in heavy snow/slush, my pant legs end up getting these ugly pasty white stains on them from the bottom of my pants to about 8 inches up the legs.

How do you prevent this from happening to you?

If this does happen to you, then what do you do once you get inside and notice that this has happened to you?

A cloth with warm water should solve it, but my guess is that its salt which is pretty bad for clothes.

IMO, wear your garbage pants on snow days... or wear jeans and change at work.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're really wading through the snow, why not put on waterproofs over your trousers and take them off at the office?

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
A cloth with warm water should solve it, but my guess is that its salt which is pretty bad for clothes.

At first I tried just rubbing water over the white pasty stains which I assume are salt stains. When I do that, it appears like the stains are gone away for the time being. But when I come back several hours later and look at the same pants, the stains re-appear.

I tried the cloth with warm water and smeared some soap on tonite. That appears to have worked marginally better, but a few hours after doing that I'm still noticing some of those stains having re-appeared.

Is there a better DIY method for removing this than just water and a cloth?

Today I saw a girl who had what looked like leg warmers around that portion of her pants. Do they make those for men too? Would I look ok if I bought some of those and wore them over my pants? At least that would keep the salt off them.

Originally Posted by academe
If you're really wading through the snow, why not put on waterproofs over your trousers and take them off at the office?

I don't have boots yet but I'm gonna buy some soon.

Due to this salt problem I'm now leaning towards buying high boots like this:

http://www.hoggs.co.uk/product_rannoch.html

Would I screw up the backs of those boots if I literally shoved my pants into those boots?

jpb

Reaction score
On days when Moscow streets are full of an awful mixture of slush and whatever corrosive reagent they are trying this year and I wear hiking gaiters like this http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/115519.html
and take them off when I get where I'm going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics