• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you stop smoking?

vancevalter66

Reaction score
Smoking is really a harmful addiction.A smoking addiction means a person has formed an uncontrollable dependence on cigarettes to the point where stopping smoking would cause severe emotional, mental, or physical reactions.I prefer the following suggestion 'Probably the most effective of all means to stop smoking, individual therapy or group. The reason it is confirmed to the safest method is that everything happens in a corporate environment and help from professionals who are trained for that.'

Usul

Reaction score
Mentholated cough drops, satisfy the oral fixation.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
not nearly as much.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pack yesterday after quitting for like 3 months (Bored). ****! I am having trouble finishing the pack. I literally felt like vomiting after smoking one. My lungs and body are not handling them well. Last pack for me.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
change your avatar too then or you'll just be reminded how cool you once looked

baileypayne

Reaction score
This is a great thread. There is a lot of great advice. I have tried to quit several times but have not been successful. I have cut back significantly by drinking less and not going to bars unless I'm seeing a band. It is very difficult to be around other smokers so I try to avoid them as well. Another thing I do to help me smoke less is I roll my own cigs. Not only does it take longer to smoke because you have to roll the cig before you can light up, I also neglect to carry it on me when I leave the house or I roll just one to take with me when I go out. When I smoked pre rolled packs I smoke more because I would always have cigs on me.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Marry a non-smoker
2) Get her pregnant
3) See how long it takes you to quit rather than listen to it

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoked for about 5 years, quit in '07 and haven't had one since. My advice is this:

Find your motivation and keep reminding yourself about it (e.g. money saved, better health...) - just quitting for the hell of it seems to be a good way to set oneself up for failure imo.

Try to identify the situations you're most likely to indulge or relapse and try to either avoid them or change them up somehow - I mean, if you're used to taking a cigarette break with the guys and you know you just don't have the self-control to just stick to the gum if you go, don't go.

Finally, try to realize you're making a lifestyle choice here... sure, it might make you feel like **** for a while, but guess who's laughing a year or two from now when you're all in the clear and everyone of your fellow pseudo-quitters are back on the tar.

mitzivalente

Reaction score
I'm not a smoker but I have seen a lot of people in rehab state (I'm a nurse by profession btw). Just like the same with alcoholic people they undergo a lot of pressure and stress when they try to quit. I'm not exaggerating but some on the state of rehab or state of trying to stop the vice(smoking or drinking) they have suicide tendency. So maybe you should submit or seek help first with any health practitioner to guide you step by step into stop smoking. Good Luck!

Hello Kitty Party Supplies

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me, how does the Hello Kitty party **** fit in the "quitting smoking" scheme of things
lol8[1].gif

ohyoumad

Reaction score
I was able to quit because I got my wisdom teeth taken out. If it weren't for that....I would have had problems, because I really enjoyed smoking. Good luck.

sp4rki

Reaction score
Ask your significant other to withdraw sex for a week if you smoke, ask your friends to throw away your cigarettes if they see any on you, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: start working out... Exercise and fitness are great motivators to stop smoking. I used no replacements and just quit one day. Worked like a charm.

larasen

Reaction score
Sorrt dude, just stop. I smoked pretty much every day for 15 years, my friends are pot heads too. I stayed in for a week, when I stopped to give me a chance to get used to it and then started my social life again without the pot.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is how I stopped smoking when cold turkey didn't work.

I made rules. First rule was no smokes before noon. I lived with that one for a bit and then created another rule. Next one was no smokes after 10pm during the week and then lived with that one.
******** up a few times but unlike cold turkey it wasn't like I had failed completely by having a smoke.

What the two rules had done was kill 2 of my purely habitual smokes, the morning one and the evening one. I don't know what others habit times are but I certainly had times where I had programed myself to smoke. Truth was these habitual cigarettes were always the least enjoyable and were more like passing or marking time.

I was still a smoker but cut back and was giving myself some control over the habit. I kept making rules to taper my intake and eventually I would go for days without a cigarette then one day I just stopped. The process took a couple of months and it wasn't bad at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics