• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you stack RLPL ties in the world...

Luckyguy

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I am new a member here in this forum. Just thought I pick your brain in the tie department? My understanding is Turnbull & Asser and Altea make their ties. At any rate, how do you stack Ralph Lauren Purple Label ties in the world of quality ties, such as Borrelli, Brioni, Barbera, kiton, etc, etc?

Thank you

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a rough start here:

Borrelli | Drakes | Charvet | Marinella

Brioni | Kiton | Barbera | T&A

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
About right guys?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would never buy at full retail but at the $60 to $75 mark as good as any in my collection which includes Dunhill, Canali, Hermes, Ferragamo, Brioni with the exception of Charvet and H&B.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Just a rough start here:

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
About right guys?

I'd put the RLPL ties between the second and third groups, being closer to the second than the third.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What`s so great about Borrelli and Drakes?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I'd put the RLPL ties between the second and third groups, being closer to the second than the third.
They're in there- Altea and Turnbull and Asser.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
What`s so great about Borrelli and Drakes?
Borelli has great patterns and Drakes have great pricing!

jmh

Reaction score
Where are best places to buy Borrelli?

Drakes?

Any good site to see them online?

Thanks

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on VCH.

This one is amazing, too:

5301.JPG

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...duct_id=220716

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Just a rough start here:

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
About right guys?

Not really for me. Borrelli makes a very stiff tie. Sure, you can get a good knot, but it has no life. Also, they are too wide. Marinella is nice, but also tends towards too stiff. Patterns are nice though. Charvet tends towards flash. Kiton construction is generally nicer than any you list in the top group. They are not obscenely wide like Borrelli and they are moderately soft. The downside is they are a little hit or miss on patterns. The good ones are definitely the top of the list you make. Drakes silks are nice and the hand is soft. I think they belong near the top.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not really for me. Borrelli makes a very stiff tie. Sure, you can get a good knot, but it has no life. Also, they are too wide.

Marinella is nice, but also tends towards too stiff. Patterns are nice though.

Charvet tends towards flash.

Kiton construction is generally nicer than any you list in the top group. They are not obscenely wide like Borrelli and they are moderately soft. The downside is they are a little hit or miss on patterns. The good ones are definitely the top of the list you make.

Drakes silks are nice and the hand is soft. I think they belong near the top.

Yes, Borrellis are rather stiff, and thick. You can only handle a four-in-hand knot with them.

I've found them similar in gauge to Zegna.

pejsek

Reaction score
I never know what to make of these hierarchies. The first and second ranks are pretty interchangeable and at this level it pretty much comes down purely to personal taste and style. Anyway, let's also not lose sight of the fact that quality and construction can vary quite considerably within a maker's line. For example, I mostly wouldn't give Robert Talbott ties much of a glance, but I think most would agree that their unlined seven folds are as good as anything made by anyone. Similarly, I detest Zegna's printed ties, but some of their woven designs are very fine and the occasional seven fold is a world class creation. The same is true for RLPL. Most of the ties strike me as nice if not spectacular, but there is also the occasional surprise. I recently bought a pair of very nice unlined seven folds made in England for RLPL--small woven patterns in light stiff silk, very 1930s.
As long as we're quibbling, what about Duchamp (before they went all David Hicks crazy)? Garrick Anderson? The classic Hermes scarf print? Serafini?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Charvet tends towards flash.
Correction, the Charvet ties sold in the US tend towards flash. Their shop sells ties from the most conservative prints which could bore a Marinella owner to incredible jewel tones... to a stock of seven folds Chuck Barris would have worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads