1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you stack RLPL ties in the world...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Luckyguy, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Luckyguy

Luckyguy Well-Known Member

Hi gents,

I am new a member here in this forum. Just thought I pick your brain in the tie department? My understanding is Turnbull & Asser and Altea make their ties. At any rate, how do you stack Ralph Lauren Purple Label ties in the world of quality ties, such as Borrelli, Brioni, Barbera, kiton, etc, etc?

Thank you

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Just a rough start here:

Borrelli | Drakes | Charvet | Marinella

Brioni | Kiton | Barbera | T&A

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
    About right guys?

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would never buy at full retail but at the $60 to $75 mark as good as any in my collection which includes Dunhill, Canali, Hermes, Ferragamo, Brioni with the exception of Charvet and H&B.

4. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Just a rough start here:

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
    About right guys?

I'd put the RLPL ties between the second and third groups, being closer to the second than the third.

5. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

What`s so great about Borrelli and Drakes?

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I'd put the RLPL ties between the second and third groups, being closer to the second than the third.
    They're in there- Altea and Turnbull and Asser.

7. jml90

jml90 Senior member

What`s so great about Borrelli and Drakes?
    Borelli has great patterns and Drakes have great pricing!

8. jmh

jmh Active Member

Where are best places to buy Borrelli?

Drakes?

Any good site to see them online?

Thanks

9. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Where are best places to buy Borrelli?

Drakes?

Any good site to see them online?

Thanks

check out virtualclotheshorse.com for a decent selection of Borrelli ties. this one is particularly nice: http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...duct_id=220890

-Jeff

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

11. hanker565

hanker565 Senior member

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just a rough start here:

Canali | Altea

Polo | BB
    About right guys?

Not really for me. Borrelli makes a very stiff tie. Sure, you can get a good knot, but it has no life. Also, they are too wide. Marinella is nice, but also tends towards too stiff. Patterns are nice though. Charvet tends towards flash. Kiton construction is generally nicer than any you list in the top group. They are not obscenely wide like Borrelli and they are moderately soft. The downside is they are a little hit or miss on patterns. The good ones are definitely the top of the list you make. Drakes silks are nice and the hand is soft. I think they belong near the top.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Not really for me. Borrelli makes a very stiff tie. Sure, you can get a good knot, but it has no life. Also, they are too wide.

Marinella is nice, but also tends towards too stiff. Patterns are nice though.

Charvet tends towards flash.

Kiton construction is generally nicer than any you list in the top group. They are not obscenely wide like Borrelli and they are moderately soft. The downside is they are a little hit or miss on patterns. The good ones are definitely the top of the list you make.

Drakes silks are nice and the hand is soft. I think they belong near the top.

Yes, Borrellis are rather stiff, and thick. You can only handle a four-in-hand knot with them.

I've found them similar in gauge to Zegna.

14. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I never know what to make of these hierarchies. The first and second ranks are pretty interchangeable and at this level it pretty much comes down purely to personal taste and style. Anyway, let's also not lose sight of the fact that quality and construction can vary quite considerably within a maker's line. For example, I mostly wouldn't give Robert Talbott ties much of a glance, but I think most would agree that their unlined seven folds are as good as anything made by anyone. Similarly, I detest Zegna's printed ties, but some of their woven designs are very fine and the occasional seven fold is a world class creation. The same is true for RLPL. Most of the ties strike me as nice if not spectacular, but there is also the occasional surprise. I recently bought a pair of very nice unlined seven folds made in England for RLPL--small woven patterns in light stiff silk, very 1930s.
    As long as we're quibbling, what about Duchamp (before they went all David Hicks crazy)? Garrick Anderson? The classic Hermes scarf print? Serafini?

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Charvet tends towards flash.
    Correction, the Charvet ties sold in the US tend towards flash. Their shop sells ties from the most conservative prints which could bore a Marinella owner to incredible jewel tones... to a stock of seven folds Chuck Barris would have worn.

16. epa

epa Senior member

I am personally very fond of Ferragamo ties. I think that they often feature quite original and nice designs, if compared to other brands. IMO, most brands insist on very boring designs (sure, they may have class, but I still find them a bit boring). Some Ferragamo ties also have a very nice texture, like the white/blue/turquoise blue silk one that I am wearing right now, bought for EUR 55 (USD 70, aprox.) during sales at the Munich airport.

17. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Don't forget Nicky and Breuer.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Correction, the Charvet ties sold in the US tend towards flash. Their shop sells ties from the most conservative prints which could bore a Marinella owner to incredible jewel tones... to a stock of seven folds Chuck Barris would have worn.
    Yes that is correct. Sorry about that.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Purple Label ties are made of terrific quality silk, by and large, but the patterns are cut too narrow for me and the ties are too short. I don't like the knot they make. This is a recent trend. I have some from the late '90s, early 2000s, and the cut was different. Fashion must have whispered in Ralph's ear that it was time to go back to narrow.

20. Luckyguy

Luckyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate your feedback. So Purple Lable ties seem to be in pretty good company. I personally like the PL ties in solid color or just simple stripes. I am in agreement with Manton in regards to their silk quality.

By the way, whnay, what make you feel it is worth it to pay at full retail for Charvet and H&B?

Thanks.