How do you spot hand work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BlvdDandy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Senior member

People on this forum are frequently talking about the amount of hand work on a given suit, and how this is often an indication of a quality item. While I can certainly understand that, I'm wondering how to spot it. For example, I know to look under the collar on an Oxxford suit to see the little uneven stitches there, but what are other common places to spot hand-work and what does it look like? I'm wondering about both jackets and pants.

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

The buttonholes and the lapel hole(s), to start with. The stitching should appear uneven and not perfectly symmetrical. The little imperfections, caused by the human hand sewing instead of a machine, are what give it elegance.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Look at where the lining is stitched in to the jacket. Also look at the inside of the armholes where the lining is -- you'll see the same uneven stitching there. Also look around pocket edges and lapel edges (not just for obvious pick stitching -- check out an Oxxford and you'll see what I'm talking about).

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Yeah, these days, unfortunately, pick stitching is not necessarily a sign of handwork.

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

(johnnynorman3 @ April 14 2005,12:16) Look at where the lining is stitched in to the jacket. Â Also look at the inside of the armholes where the lining is -- you'll see the same uneven stitching there. Â Also look around pocket edges and lapel edges (not just for obvious pick stitching -- check out an Oxxford and you'll see what I'm talking about).
    Yeah, these days, unfortunately, pick stitching is not necessarily a sign of handwork.
    i wonder if someone's going to invent a machine that purposely does uneven pick stitching sidenote, my tailor told me that tiny amount of pick stitching on my jil sander was done by machine