• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you shop?

DocRoberts

Reaction score
Evening Gents,

How do you shop for Classic Mens Clothing?

online / brick & mortar

Ebay and buying / search tips

Thrift / estate sales

etc.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relevance to this Forum?

sstokol

Reaction score
I assume the OP means, how do you shop for "classic menswear"?

I'd be interested to know how much people here are still buying bricks and mortar to gain the benefit of trying things on and seeing them IRL versus buying online due to the significant discounts?

As someone who wants it all and doesn't want to pay retail, I would say I buy more than 90% of my stuff online (though of course sometimes will try on in a store front first before sourcing online). But the next step for me is going bespoke, so that may reduce over time.

Of my online spend maybe 65%+ ebay (mostly STF, Topshelfapparel, Satoriale, random "thrifted" style buys from individuals and vintage stores...especially tweed, slight obsession with tweed), the rest from online stores, mostly ties and shoes (e.g. Robinsons Shoes, Herring, Meermin, Vanda, Conrad Wu, Sam Hober)

Have looked at plenty of others and will surely shop elsewhere too, but these are the main places which have so far sucked in my hard earned.

DocRoberts

Reaction score
GBR i apologize i did not make this clearer for you (i have tried to rectify this). I am looking at how people are typically purchasing menswear. This would also be a good thread for sellers to see as well.

vida

Reaction score
If I know the brand and the fit, I'll buy online. Almost all accessories, online. Tailored clothing, in store. (If I had access to a very good tailor for suits, maybe online.) However, I think it is a big advantage when the tailor knows the "look" of the suit. E.G. Phinneas Cole by Paul Stuart, Isaia...
Final Sale with no store credit at a minimum is a complete deal breaker. Returns are part of the process if buyers are willing to try new things.

Logeybear

Reaction score
The majority of clothing purchases I'll research online, before going in to a brick and motar shop to actually buy it. As a man who has worked behind the counter I understand how vital physical customers actually are to their livelihood, saying that though if it's not available in any store (fairly rare in London) then online it is.
One thing I anticipate in this thread will be the amount of people that talk about £££ and how shopping online can save you some, this I agree with! You really can save money online, the same goes for thrifting etc BUT nothing is better in life IMO than becoming a somewhat "regular" at a tailors/shop, once you begin to gain a familiarity and rapport, you tend to find discount will be presented to you (in my experience anyway).

Nowadays I visit tailors that are off the Row, such as Benson & Clegg, Kent Haste & Lachter, and Redwood & Feller. I subscribe to the "1 or 2 good suits a year" mindset, it stops me buying stupid things I never end up wearing, and means I don't bother with trends.

I have bought pocket squares etc from Putthison's online etsy store and various things from eBay using their search tools but that is only down to limited run fabrics and things that I just couldn't pass up. I tend to make ill decisions on ebay though as I always get caught up in bidding wars and pay more than I ever should! That would be my only eBay tip, set a limit and stick to it.

I have a good friend who ran a mens haberdashery in Brooklyn and he thrifts almost everything he wears. The man dresses exceedingly well and doesn't pay a fat lot for it, he even has craft items such as A&S suits and a DB dinner jacket (can't remember whether it's Hunstman or not) that he's picked up for very little. With this information I think it can be a very good way of shopping, albeit slightly unreliable, especially in the UK, the quality in NY (the only place I have a reference) is outstanding! Having seen his wardrobe, which is featuring items such as John Lobb oxfords that were picked up for around $300 you can't really argue! Lots of Drakes ties & PS's as well.
It is however something I have never bothered with, I tried briefly in London, perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough, but nothing ever came my way.

In short I like going to physical stores and buying, I just enjoy it.

FWIW I do not have a large disposable income as i'm just a student.

I hope this helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads