1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how do you rock 'em jeans? : Fit Pics & Description

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by IIIrd Icon, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

tnx. water is your friend__ don't be afraid to warm soak 'em when needed. it helps cure/temper/reset the denim & threads without losing too much indigo [if that is what you want]. i know "starching" is blasphemous in certain circles cuz some say it's "cheating". i say it's "props" [of the trade]__ like Preparation H to a hang-overed model, lulz! anyways, i never claim to be a denim purist. a spritz of [heavy] starch on the laps/whiskers & combs areas while damp [not dripping wet] will keep the creases perked up & edges prone to ataris. as the saying goes__ "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".
    What detergent do you recommend for washing? Woolite black? I am afraid I've blurred up the indigo on my APCs by using regular detergent. Also I have some decent lap whiskers but the honeycombs are just not clicking, and the laps/knees are not fading. I've had em for 6 months now this Wednesday, 2 washes, 1 soak

2. whereismyshoe

whereismyshoe Senior member

jesus christ just wear your jeans and then wash them

3. Conundrum

Conundrum Well-Known Member

Duuuude, 2 washes and one soak in 6 monhts is waaaaaaaaaay to much. I'm not even soaking my APC's. They don't even need soaking actually. Why soak?

Someone should press charges. This guy raped his APC's ....

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

quick quesiton then how do you when to soak them?
    i just simply warm soak [from tap] for about 45mins__ nothing fancy, really. i don't even turn them inside out cuz there's no reason to__ they just sit still in the sink.
    What detergent do you recommend for washing? Woolite black? I am afraid I've blurred up the indigo on my APCs by using regular detergent. Also I have some decent lap whiskers but the honeycombs are just not clicking, and the laps/knees are not fading. I've had em for 6 months now this Wednesday, 2 washes, 1 soak
    yea, i wash cold with Woolite "Dark" on [permanent cycle] setting. usually, you turn them inside out [to avoid random creasing] on initial washes [before the break in]. but, i never do initial washes before break in anyway, so it's unnecessary [to turn them]__ the fabric has soften up from months of wear & has undergone several soaks before it gets chucked in the washer.

IMO, the behavior of the denim dictates the wash/soak frequency [in general]. of course, individual taste & style preference are a big factor, as well. bottomline is, there's really no one way about it.

in general, i do periodic/multi-soaks & refrain from washing until the creases [whiskers & combs] have fully developed & set in__ [how long?] depends on how resilient the indigo dye is & the frequency+degree of wear it gets. after the 2nd wash, it's wash when needed__ which is [normally] more frequently, for me.

5. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I know a good website, there is so many jeans. Maybe you would like to have a look.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Duuuude, 2 washes and one soak in 6 monhts is waaaaaaaaaay to much. I'm not even soaking my APC's. They don't even need soaking actually. Why soak?

Not necessarily mate.
    There are many benefits to pre-soaking your jeans and washing your jeans regularly - just check the 'I have a jeans' thread...

7. Cool The Kid

I made some mistakes. But I think not soaking for 6 months is ridiculous. Your shits will grow mold.

i just simply warm soak [from tap] for about 45mins__ nothing fancy, really. i don't even turn them inside out cuz there's no reason to__ they just sit still in the sink.

yea, i wash cold with Woolite "Dark" on [permanent cycle] setting. usually, you turn them inside out [to avoid random creasing] on initial washes [before the break in]. but, i never do initial washes before break in anyway, so it's unnecessary [to turn them]__ the fabric has soften up from months of wear & has undergone several soaks before it gets chucked in the washer.

IMO, the behavior of the denim dictates the wash/soak frequency [in general]. of course, individual taste & style preference are a big factor, as well. bottomline is, there's really no one way about it.

in general, i do periodic/multi-soaks & refrain from washing until the creases [whiskers & combs] have fully developed & set in__ [how long?] depends on how resilient the indigo dye is & the frequency+degree of wear it gets. after the 2nd wash, it's wash when needed__ which is [normally] more frequently, for me.

Sweet, thank you man.

8. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I originally posted these jeans on page 3 of this thread, but I finally got my Eternal 811 one-wash jeans altered at Denim Revival here in LA. I'm pretty pleased with the result - what do you guys think?

Front before:
    [​IMG]

Front after:
    [​IMG]

Side before:
    [​IMG]

Side after:
    [​IMG]

Back before:
    [​IMG]

Back after:
    [​IMG]

9. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

[​IMG]

cheap monday autobahn unwash

these guys have 3 months of wear, and 1 wash.

10. joshyle

joshyle Active Member

Denim: Nudie Jeans Co - Slim Jim Dry Broken Twill Wear Info: 1 year Breakdown: 5 days/week minus 3 weeks of vacation or ~239/365 days. Wash Info: N/A - No washing or soaking. - Josh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

@Morgan, that's a huge improvement.

12. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

I originally posted these jeans on page 3 of this thread, but I finally got my Eternal 811 one-wash jeans altered at Denim Revival here in LA. I'm pretty pleased with the result - what do you guys think?

Front before:
    [​IMG]

Front after:
    [​IMG]

Side before:
    [​IMG]

Side after:
    [​IMG]

Back before:
    [​IMG]

Back after:
    [​IMG]

wow, awesome work.[​IMG]

they fit you much much better

did you also get the waist taken in?

13. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

Morgan: Looks superb.

14. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I did not get the waist taken in, actually - that was the only part that fit! I usually take a 32 but these are size 33, which was the smallest size I could actually button up when trying them on. I couldn't even get the 32s on all the way. After just a few hours of wear, though, they had stretched way the hell out all over, but the waist was fine.

The only thing that really gives away the amount of work done on them is the fact that the warp and woof of the denim now run diagonally across the legs, rather than straight up and across. You can see this in the "front after" photo. It should make for some interesting fades.

15. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

I did not get the waist taken in, actually - that was the only part that fit! I usually take a 32 but these are size 33, which was the smallest size I could actually button up when trying them on. I couldn't even get the 32s on all the way. After just a few hours of wear, though, they had stretched way the hell out all over, but the waist was fine. The only thing that really gives away the amount of work done on them is the fact that the warp and woof of the denim now run diagonally across the legs, rather than straight up and across. You can see this in the "front after" photo. It should make for some interesting fades.
    that happpens in most jeans anyways

16. Mossy

Mossy Senior member

great fit Morgan. How much did you pay for the alterations? and how did you go about ensuring that you got such a perfect fit? cheers.

17. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I can't recall exactly but it was about $75 total. It was actually a two-step process - I had them take in the seat and thighs first (~$40), just to see if it was going to work. This was the critical area, so if it didn't work I wasn't going to spend extra to have the whole leg tailored down to the hem. Once I got them back and they fit well through the seat and thigh, I brought them back to get narrowed from the knee to the hem (~$35).

I brought in my pair of perfectly broken-in APCs (tagged 30w) for reference so the tailor understood what I considered a well-fitted pair, and I specified the width I wanted at the knee and hem. I probably didn't need to, though - the tailor(s) at Denim Revival are just really, really good. I mean, this is literally all they do. I understand they do at least part of their repair business through the mail, since people from all over will send them destroyed jeans for reweaving or reinforcement.

18. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

i'm glad the risk paid off for you. that's quite an improvement.

811s' got great denim & the only reason i stayed away is the terrible hip flare [ei, on my body type]... & having [any jeans] altered is just not my thing. i know they're doing a straight out 811 cut reproduction for the BiG x 811 contest pairs, but i'll def check/compare if they've tweaked the top block [when they drop this Sep].

19. Cool The Kid

Damn Morgan that is a marked improvement. I took a similar gamble w/my APCs and a local tailor (just a leg taper, $15 [​IMG] ) and that paid off nicely. I think having a pair of reference fit jeans is key, as I did (I had them mimic some PSs from mid thigh down). Only fear is how alterations will affect fades... but if you get them done early enough on jeans that don't stretch much it should be fine.

How long did it take?

20. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

@IIIrd Icon - Yeah, the top block on the 811s is pretty bad unless you have a very fat or muscular ass and thighs. As it was, I just looked like I was wearing a diaper. The denim is so beautiful, though - deep purple-blue and really hairy - that I had to try to salvage these.

@Cool the Kid - each alteration took about a week. The jeans had only one hot soak and no washes so the fades, such as they are, hadn't really set in yet. The only fading was right on the fly, which was abraded by the bricks used to build the garden wall seen in the background of the "before" photos (I had to carry all hundred or so around the side of the house). The jeans were so loose prior to tailoring that I wasn't getting defined creases anywhere. Especially the back-of-the-knee combs, which just weren't happening until I had the legs slimmed.