• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you retire your old denim? Not "When" but "How".

kontra

Reaction score
I know its a weird question.
Here's an example - I own a pair of 6 year old Sugar Canes and 2 pairs of 4-5 year old PureBlueJapans. All worn out/repaired and then worn out to hell and back. The denim is absolutely beautiful, but at this point is unwearable on daily basis.
I wear each pair maybe once or twice a year. So - here they are, with all that nostalgic/emotional attachment I have with them... - I cant make myself to just throw them away.
Levi's had this TV ad in the 90th when the guy who owned this worn out pair would just burry them in his backyard - Im almost at this point. ;)
What do you do? Do you store them?
Im thinking about getting some sort of archival box for them and just keep them in there in the corner of my closet.
... i know Im over-thinking this.

kontra

Reaction score
I would, but too much $$$ and I will definitely be misunderstood.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make a display like this:
original.jpg

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sell the jeans to a jeans shop for new jeans

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i usually dispose of mine via the municipalities garbage waste management system.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this not too long ago as well....I've never worn a pair "to hell" - something usually happens before a pair gets too well worn (I lose weight, find a pair I like more, etc) and I end up selling them.
I have a probably unsellable pair of Sugar Canes just rotting away in my closet. And there it will remain until somebody on this thread tells me what to do with them.

kontra

Reaction score
I still wear them - just not often. Once in half a year or so.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you may ask "swiss-jeansfreak", he owns jeansmuseum somewhere in switzerland. Some may call it collecting, I think it's borderline hoarding. Who knows to each of their own

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

edit: yes, those boxes are also packed with denim

Last edited:

thenewjs

Reaction score
I dont wear out my denim like what people are doing now days. I sell them and use the proceeds toward a newer pair.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must develop a meaningful ritual or a ceremony: burn them in fire, bury them in a special place etc....an emotional closure is very important

kontra

Reaction score

You must develop a meaningful ritual or a ceremony: burn them in fire, bury them in a special place etc....an emotional closure is very important

^^^^ too obvious - you can do better.

autumndreams

Reaction score
Depends how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole.

There's no reason to destroy or throw out a pair of jeans if it's still wearable. Personally? I'd just keep them "around" if I plan on wearing them every now and then. If not? Well, if they're still wearable I'd either sell them or donate them. If it's a pair that I felt a particular attachment to, I might keep them in storage.

If they're not wearable...well, the trash is one option. Using them as scrap to repair other pairs is another. Keeping them in a little box for sentimental value is another.

Nomy?

Reaction score
I'd just hand them down to a sibilng or a relative. or like somone said keep them for scrap to repair other denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads