• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you reapply "coated" finishes on denim?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have a pair of black Nudie Slim Jims. They were "coated," and about 2" too long. I took them to the cleaners to have them hemmed (right down the street from my work), and they CLEANED THEM (and hemmed them). The ******* coating is gone. Now they're just black jeans. God ******* dammit. **** you, Leonard's at 8901 Melrose. **** you right **********.

So, any DIY solutions to this?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really... My friend painted his jeans with fabric paint but it's not coated as far as I know.

brohymn

Reaction score
From a financial standpoint, I think you're better off just straight up selling them at this point.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't mind having a pair of plain black jeans, so I'll continue to wear them, but if I can figure out a way to replicate the original finish, then I'd like to take a whack at it. I swear to god, I had to leave the cleaners before I started smashing **** today.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They weren't interested in what I had to say. As I said, I had to leave before I did something really stupid. I'm still fuming. And, according to the care tag on the jeans, they cleaned the jeans according to the instructions, which, from my limited viewing of Judge Judy, absolves them of responsibility to the finish. The denim is, after all, clean. The argument then comes down to "he said she said" when it comes to the matter of whether or not I requested cleaning. At the same time, I'm surprised that the finish came off with the dry-cleaning (although not really.. I mean, it's probably wax/petroleum based and any solvent would probably view it the same as any other wax or petroleum crap: dirt to be removed). I may go back later when I'm done stabbing my desk with a ballpoint.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1

no point bitching about it here...go get your money back.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Your limited viewing of a TV show to the contrary, you contracted for one thing and got another. It is at minimum a breach of warranty. If you hire me to tile your bathroom floor and I proceed to reupholster your furniture to my liking (which naturally involves pink elephant textiles), you're saying I shouldn't be required to compensate you for that? Not to mention it's not really a legal issue, it's just common sense on their part... it's maybe 80 bucks for your damage, vs. the loss of your business forever. Considering my dry cleaner probably makes that off me in a month or two, and loss of reputation besides when you tell area residents about how *********** up your clothes, it's a no brainer.

In future, though, I would suggest getting your alterations done at a tailor or alterationist. I've never had a dry cleaner I'd trust even with tapering or darting.

mrburnz

Reaction score
my GF washed my black coated slim jims recently. they definately don't look the same anymore. they did last about 8 month's w/o a wash though.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^don't wash coated denim. have to dry clean. i have 3 pairs of coate diors and a pair of coated superfines and they are all losing sheen, dry cleaned or not.

mrburnz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^don't wash coated denim. have to dry clean. i have 3 pairs of coate diors and a pair of coated superfines and they are all losing sheen, dry cleaned or not.

i'm guessing the OP's dry cleaners, laundered them then?

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. And this is also why I'm wondering about DIY finishes because I know with time it's supposed to fade (not permanent) and now would be as good time as any to learn about re-applications.

I've got a can of black kiwi shoe polish. It's got wax, it's got lanolin, it's got a few other things, and I imagine that while waxed != coated (I'm guessing), it might produce something similarly decent looig. Or ******. I'll try the hems first. :p

I'm still angry. Must be the low-carb diet. Grr. I want to go back and calmly explain that they owe me a new pair of jeans or some money, but it's likely to come out as "**** YOU **** YOU **** YOUR ******* STORE YOU ******* WHORE **** YOU **** YOUR ******* MOTHER **** YOUR ******* KID WITH A ******* ASS ****** MULE KICKING DICK PUNCHING **** ASS **** YOU!" I've counted to like 100. I'm amazed I'm able to post.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

Do NOT dry clean waxed cotton. The only acceptable method of cleaning waxed cotton is wiping locally with a sponge or cloth. This is why waxed jeans are kind of impractical; they can never be washed. Generally, water-proof protection for your legs comes in the form of chaps.

To restore the oil finish to your cotton, just get a can of the stuff from Filson or Barbour. Put it in a warm water bath, apply, and let dry. Done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads