• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you pay for/justify your clothing habit?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Pay? Money.
Justify? No need to.

Pretty much, though I guess I justify it as being something I like and can afford.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Occasionally I sell a few items, but most of the money is just discretionary spending. I've now reached the point where I "need" very few items and so am shopping less.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Pretty much, though I guess I justify it as being something I like and can afford.

I fell asleep halfway through your sentence...zzzzzzzzz.

- B

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justified by business need primarily, but also because its part of the whole presentation that I try to convey.

Generally, I'm as cheap as any SF'r and can only bear to spend retail in the most exceptional of circumstances. Ebay, year-end sales, discounters and B&S have allowed me to build a wardrobe that I truely could never afford at retail. Consequently, I've paid little more than if I were to have bought the least expensive, low-quality goods for the same business purpose, excluding shoes. That's just an indulgence.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Student loans.

Also cutting back on the drinking helps.

As for justification, I simply like being able to look the way I want to. It's taken awhile, but I feel like lately I've finally found "my style". And that's nice.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I justify it by buying less watches than I used to.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to Andrew. I started out looking for cheap ways to buy nice things for myself. I spent a lot of time on ebay and at outlets but rarely ever found anything that fit me. After several months I realized I could flip a lot of the amazing deals I found that didn't fit me.

Now I mainly look for flippable items and if I happen to find something in my size I don't feel bad keeping it because I've made so much money selling. I also keep an extremely detailed spreadsheet of all my income and expenses.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Single. Surplus income, and no need to justify how I use it.

There are a few perks to living that life!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cocaine_bricks_scorpion_logo.jpg

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont race cars anymore as its tough on the Keetwan.

Regards.

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There are ways to be more sensible about it, but laying rubber is like paving the track with Benjamins.

- B

I find FV a reasonable hobby. Air racing and go-fast poker runs on the other hand..

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by handmade 1
This is very impressive, how much time do you spend a week on your hobby ?
Thanks handmade and gnatty. Since I also sell professionally I don't know exactly how much time it takes me in the end to sell the personal stuff. Probably way too much
smile.gif

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smmea
Never been to a tailor here, so dont know and im afraid i get screwed. Of corse i wear ties and polished shoes everyday, im not saying im being dresed like a homeless, but i dont change clothes that much and those i wear are not crying "Look at me mthf!", just dry clean it for several months. The sad fact, related to my job and pasion is that lately i noticed I dont have any jeans or casual stuff left i only have formal wear and worst - i dont want to spend a single cent on jeans or that kind of stuff, and im in my early 30ies. I just dont like it any more i dont have a single sweter just shirts. I have been thinking lately that bespoke is the only way to get good clothes If one day ill become a corporate CEO
smile.gif
than i shall updated some bespoke things. By the way, are there good tailors in Romania?

Some old ones, yes. And keep some casuals - you'll find odd to not have them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads