1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you meet people?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lemmywinks, Jul 15, 2012.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Finished my first year of college and I'm back home. I have made quite a lot of friends in college and I'm only close friends with a handful of people from high school, and even though I am pretty good friends with some of them, it would be nice to meet some new people for a change.

How did you guys meet people outside of school when you were around 19 years old? I know work is an obvious one but my current internship is at a start up and the two other people I work with that are my age happen to be some of my good friends, and I don't really get to meet others.

2. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

I started rockclimbing when i was 20. Easy way to meet intelligent people and to have something to do/talk about besides drinking and chasing girls. Also girls LOVE climbers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

4. vanDiem

vanDiem Member

Start doing something you like and you'll find ike minded people that do the same thing. Or just spontaneusly go partying in the city with a bunch of good friends and you'll be suprised how many new people you're gonna meet.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

how big is the metro area you live in? It can be hard to find other people around your same age (22? 23?) in a metro area unless it's got it's own colleges... we are here for you, if you ever decide to become an interneting shut-in.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Sports always works well. Doesn't matter what - soccer, basketball, mountain biking, even climbing I guess. Charity events too.

7. pat pearson

pat pearson Senior member

i definitely agree with sports. I've met loads of cool people through local marathon teams and exercise programs. Just be a lack dude that'd you'd want to stumble upon in public

8. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Men's shoe circles.

2 people like this.
  9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love girls that like to climb.

Anyway, why would anyone want to meet people outside of styleforum???? Anyone you could possibly want to meet is already here.

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Clubs, discotheques, and the line at H&M for the changing rooms are natural habitats for hot chicks.

11. imunique

imunique Well-Known Member

As a couch potato, I'd like to find friends online. You could always join some kind of forums for a hobbit, and there you can find friends with same interest. What is more, when your college is far from home, it is likely that you are away from your old friends, so that online communication would be a good way to maintain your friendship.

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Throw a party or something, let your friends bring their friends and problem solved.

13. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

14. alexg

alexg Senior member

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

I started dance lessons and then volunteered to host the after-parties at my house.

16. Neo_Version 7

^ It's going to be mad awkward hosting parties for the OP if he lives with his parents.

1 person likes this.
  17. thinman

thinman Senior member

Step 1, start dance lessons.
    Step 2, get own place.
    Step 3, host.

The first step is most important.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  18. Neo_Version 7

I assume in between steps 1 and 2 he becomes a famous dancer and gets stinking rich?

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

No, there's usually such a shortage of guys who can dance, if he becomes even moderately good and doesn't look like Quasimodo, women will be falling all over each other to dance with him.

Even if he doesn't become a decent dancer and just goes to class, he'll meet a lot of young women because the usual class format involves rotating partners every several minutes. I recommend that he find a college dance club (they should still be active over the summer). That way, he's guaranteed to be dancing mainly with college-age women instead of his grandma. During a one-hour class, he should be able to dance with every woman in the room at least once.

You should try it Neo (Unless you look like Quasimodo. You wouldn't want to scare anyone :)).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  20. loreley

loreley Senior member

Like so many other things in life, there are rarely set, direct paths to goals. As others have said, find an activity that you enjoy that puts you in a position to meet other people. Shared and common interests / goals are powerful social forces that brings people together. It's no guarantee of anything of course, but at the very least you'll enjoy yourself.