• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you live?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the request of a mysterious benefactor, I bring you the "How do you live?" thread.

I live in an apartment, approximately 700 sq. ft. It has two bedrooms, a living room, and a kitchen/dining area. I am typing to you from the breakfast bar. This space is shared with a depressed reclusive roommate, whose presence is most frequently trumpeted through the playing of noise music at odd hours.

I don't work or go to school, in any traditional sense. I am likely to sign up for Internet University at some point in the near future, though I find higher education dismal and saddening. Various income streams, but no "job." No desire to have one, either.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An older 3-story house from 1912 IIRC. Rental property - divided into three seperate units. Was a real nice house back in the day: hardwood floors, nice crown moldings, decorative plaster 'stepping' on the ceiling, nice built-in cabinets, decorative doorways, etc. For the past 40 years though it has been used as a rental place for mostly college kids. Decent house but the cops used to come every week (not as much any more), and the DEA raided our place last year.

Two room mates who are much much different than I am. Graduated school, haven't started looking for a job yet. Ebaying in the meantime.

Nice for now, but being out of school, I would like to find a 1-BR place when I move out.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Live by myself in a fairly new house in Orange County but spend most of my time working in in the less attractive eastern suburbs of LA.

My house is nice, definitely a lot of space for a single guy, about 2500 sq/ft much of which is dedicated to storing clothing at the moment.

Currently in the consulting industry, much of my work involves handholding clients at business dinners/meetings, which is perfectly fine with me.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Cleanly. Under difficult circumstances.

nice one!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
thumbs-up.gif

the boring answer: Townhouse...1600 sqft.....with the fiancee, Alfie T. Weinerdog and Shiro T. Cat. 2 stories, with a tri-level first floor, vaulted ceilings in nearly every room so the place feels larger than it is.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live alone in a 1000 sq. foot apartment. It's in an old brownstone not far from downtown. The building is old but most of the apartment has been recently renovated by the landlord. Wood floors, high ceilings, etc. I just moved from a much smaller place and bought all new high quality (not the best of the best though) contemporary furniture for it.

I work a lot, which means on average 80-100/hrs a week over the past month. Probably an average of 60hrs/wk last year. I was a full-time student part of the time. I generally enjoy working, but don't like school.

In my spare time i've taken to cooking, which is a natural hobby for me since I love great food. I also eat-out at high-end restaurants about once a month and go to the opera whenever it's playing. I'm getting season's tickets for next year. Most importantly, I maintain relationships with both a tailor and a shirtmaker.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
No car, but it doesn't matter in montreal since everything is so close.

All-in-all, I live quite well.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
In terror.

In a 575-sq. ft. apartment with my twin brother in the small loft above me.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Cleanly. Under difficult circumstances.
More mods... 3-story built in the 60s I believe (you can tell from the choice of wall paint in my room). The bottom floor has two dining rooms (one formal, one informal), indoor garden, and two living rooms. It makes the house feel big and is great for family parties, but is kind of a waste day-to-day (read:some of that space would make for a killer studio). I'd say my favorite part of the house is that being up on a hill the view of the central San Jose valley is rather pretty. The sunsets don't hurt either:
cimg0188xs1.jpg
I share the house with two cousins who will be moving out by the end of the month leaving me with a killer bachelor pad.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding threads like this.

If someone were to detail a life of excess (multimillion dollar houses, expensive cars, exclusive holidays, etc) would you consider that to be in bad taste?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I have a question regarding threads like this.

If someone were to detail a life of excess (multimillion dollar houses, expensive cars, exclusive holidays, etc) would you consider that to be in bad taste?

No, the OP asked. Why should the rich be discriminated against? It's just envy when people make a big deal about it. The fact is, a lot of them earned it and it shouldn't be held against them.

Depending on the poster, their claims might be called in to question though. This is the internet, after all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads