1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you like your steak?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bruinsfan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I'd recommend asking the waiter if they could bring you a divorce.

2. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

That's b/c anytime someone orders medium well the cook automatically assumes that the person doesn't give a fuck and they cook it to hell.

That's what I figured. It was a filet, too [​IMG]

I'd recommend asking the waiter if they could bring you a divorce.

As I am an unemployed graduate student, she is literally my meal ticket.

3. Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan Well-Known Member

Update: I don't Blame any1 eating their steak well-done/almost burned in any Asian country

4. Canvas08

Canvas08 Well-Known Member

5. tsacain

tsacain Well-Known Member

Medium rare. But after this thread I will try rare.

6. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

7. Airfare

Airfare Active Member

medium rare +1

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Medium whether its NY Strip, Filet, Ribeye, Porterhouse- it is the only way I can do it. With a side of Fries, and cooked with some nice Worcestershire Sauce as well as a ice cold Coca Cola in a Glass Bottle (Mexican Coke), and I am in heaven for the net 8 minutes.

Tried Rare, Tried Medium Rare.. Flavorful, however I found myself chewing a lot and the steak getting cold.

Well Done just tastes like rubber to me.

9. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

You eat a Ribeye in 8 minutes? I know I'm a slow eater but if I'm enjoying a meal it'll take me 30-40 minutes.

Medium-rare. Father used to order well done, been talked down to Medium-well. Mother used to order rare, eating in London during 2001 scared her into eating medium-rare. Foot and mouth.

10. celery

celery Senior member

I define someone with a good palate as being adventurous to try anything and everything, and then judge whether they like something or not. Most Americans, I feel, have preconceived ideas of what something will taste like, either because they have never tried it, or when they did have it, it wasn't prepared properly; I use Brussels sprouts as a salient example.

I just call this adventurous.

+1

A good palate is one that can discern flavors and even preperation techniques. A bad palate can't tell the difference between something heated in a microwave vs cooked fresh (just one example).

As for steak, although I prefer medium-rare, my base requirements are that it's juicy (even if well done) or that it doesn't taste of iron (which is what rare tastes like to me).

11. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

Rare, but at least warm in the middle, whatever that translates to.

I ordered a well done steak in Paris once "” what can I say "” at some small, not very remarkable, place. It's possible they misunderstood, but I like to think they wanted to teach me something; I got the rarest piece of meat I ever ate, I think.

12. Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan Well-Known Member

I ordered a well done steak in Paris once "” what can I say "” at some small, not very remarkable, place. It's possible they misunderstood, but I like to think they wanted to teach me something; I got the rarest piece of meat I ever ate, I think.

if you would throw it at a wall would it stick? 0_o

13. js4design

js4design Senior member

"Knock his horns off, wipe his ass, and let's eat." This was my dad's normal response when asked by the waiter if he really wanted his steak very rare. His other favorite was "I don't mind if there is a little frost in the middle."

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

had a friend that always gave these specific instructions for his steak, "cook it on one side for one minute, flip and cook on the other side for a minute, take it off and bring to me" [​IMG]

15. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

"Knock his horns off, wipe his ass, and let's eat." This was my dad's normal response when asked by the waiter if he really wanted his steak very rare. His other favorite was "I don't mind if there is a little frost in the middle."

I like those. I prefer my steak very rare, too. IMHO it should be purple and raw in the middle. Lovely

The second one, if used in a very nice restaurant (esp. a very nice French one, where very rare beef is likely to be the norm) is a bit of a put-down of the waiter for even asking - by intimating that the restaurant serves frozen beef. Another good response, in a different but similar vein, is "I'd like mine sitting up," which implies that a dog steak will be served. [​IMG]

16. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

I want my steak to moo aggressively when I eat it.

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Medium rare or medium, depending on who you ask.

I usually order medium. A steak should be warm all the way through, but still quite juicy. The cool centers called for in rare or medium rare turn me off.

Unfortunately, clear definitions on the scale are hard to come by. I've on occasion thought about just ordering "warm pink center" rather than using the standard scale.

18. xchen

xchen Senior member

I used to order them rare, but had a bad experience where the stake ended up getting cold and that was pretted screwed up. It was just a piece of cold, raw meat.

Ever since them I get them medium rare, but I'm cool with the pink.

19. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

+1

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member