• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like pleats on your trousers?

How do you like pleats on your trousers?

• Single reverse

• Single forward

• Double reverse

• Double forward

• Flat front only for me, thanks!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Are pleated pants cool, or are they dandyish and weird?

bond.jpg

pleats.jpg

pleats.jpeg

Photo-13-6-18-5-43-40-am.jpg

pleats.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how Ethan’s photo is used twice. Classic robot mistake. I love double forward pleats.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t like em. Don’t need em.

I see they’re making their way back into fashion, which baffles me as they are an aspect of construction for me, not of fashion. If you are portly enough to need that extra flexibility they are serving a purpose. If you are slim like all the fellas in the photos shown above they are superfluous and IMO less than optimal. In some cases like with Connery above they actually contribute to an unflattering effeminate silhouette of child-bearing hips!
Horses for courses of course but there’s my two cents.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I have both types, but aside from very informal types (like basic chinos and denim), I think that pleats make the fabric around the hip/bum area drape and flow better; nothing to do with portliness or slimness.

Some very well-fitted examples above; not least the Sean Connery example.

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
Woo! double post.

In addition to the extra room, I think that pleats give some fun visuals that add something extra to an outfit, apart from them being "needed" for certain physiques. To me, flat fronts feel boring and uninteresting, though I own my fair share of flat front trousers.

With a high rise, pleats are good. High rise flat fronts feel too "blocky" for me.

theox

Reaction score
I like the third style. trouble is one must be in great physical shape with no bulge to carry them off.

Michael Boehm

Reaction score
Form follows function and pleats make trousers work better. Also, do not need the spider front common with flat front.

dunkbomb

Reaction score
I believe that every man should have at least one pair of pleated trousers in his wardrobe - after all "variety is the spice of life." I find that, while most days a flat front looks great, once in a while, it's good to mix it up with a paiir of nicely crafted pleated pants.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer flat front over pleats. I already have large legs and pleats gives them extra fullness which I don’t need.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer pleated trousers (no matter which style - just need to make the rest of the outfit work) over flat-front ones. That said, there is a simple and very sensible reason for them, according to a friend of mine, who is a tailor: when a person sits down, your pelvic bones move outwards, i.e. your hips widen. The additional fabric was added to give the trousers room to give for three reasons, i) to not overstretch the side seams, ii) avoid making the pockets gape open too much and pulling them out of form and iii) to reduce the amount of wrinkling in the front of the trousers from sitting. IMHO, you can easily see the drawbacks of flat-front trousers in how they look after a day of wear compared to a pleated trouser.

emptym

Reaction score
... If you are slim like all the fellas in the photos shown above they are superfluous and IMO less than optimal...
I think there are some functions that slim guys could benefit from:
1) Forward pleats give you a bit more room when putting your hands or other things into your front pockets.
2) Both kinds provide and aesthetically pleasing start (or end) to crease lines.
3) I've read that reverse pleats were popular among thin guys in Italy because they allowed for a smoother transition between the fullness of a coat hem and the pants.

Personally, I prefer single forward or flat front. Double forward is OK. Dislike reverse.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a single reverse pleat on the trousers that look good with them. The reason is that I have large thighs, making the trousers a bit looser and comfortable in that area. They are reversed because that's what my MTM guys told me was best. :)

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer pleated trousers (no matter which style - just need to make the rest of the outfit work) over flat-front ones. That said, there is a simple and very sensible reason for them, according to a friend of mine, who is a tailor: when a person sits down, your pelvic bones move outwards, i.e. your hips widen. The additional fabric was added to give the trousers room to give for three reasons, i) to not overstretch the side seams, ii) avoid making the pockets gape open too much and pulling them out of form and iii) to reduce the amount of wrinkling in the front of the trousers from sitting. IMHO, you can easily see the drawbacks of flat-front trousers in how they look after a day of wear compared to a pleated trouser.

This! If you are like me and engage in sports which give you large thighs (barbell squats, grappling), it's a great way to maintain a fairly slim line over the thigh but not making them feel tight when you sit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads