1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you like checkered shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, May 1, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I found a number of Lacoste buttondown shirts on sale at 70% off and in my size, so I got them. A large number of these last-item-in-the-city shirts, however, are checkered shirts. Some have very subtle or light checker patterns and could be virtual solids or maybe what you guys call tattersall; three look a bit like cowboy shirts but nothing like Madras.

My tropical country law firm's regular dress code is dress shirt and tie with no jacket, which allows a bit more color for your shirt. What do you guys think of checks in general, and checks in a business context? I've worn them a few times with no comment.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I like checked shirts a lot. I think they look a little less formal than plain shirts, and they can be harder to coordinate, but that seems like it's less of an issue for you now. Wear them happily. I'm wearing one today in this fabric:

[​IMG]

By the way, I think maybe you are thinking of end-on-end. This is tattersall (or close to it):

[​IMG]

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

I found a number of Lacoste buttondown shirts on sale at 70% off and in my size, so I got them. A large number of these last-item-in-the-city shirts, however, are checkered shirts. Some have very subtle or light checker patterns and could be virtual solids or maybe what you guys call tattersall; three look a bit like cowboy shirts but nothing like Madras.

My tropical country law firm's regular dress code is dress shirt and tie with no jacket, which allows a bit more color for your shirt. What do you guys think of checks in general, and checks in a business context? I've worn them a few times with no comment.

I love gingham, although it is probably seen as more informal. I have a blue gingham shirt from Jantzen that looks awesome with either a red or naby tie and navy suit.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Coloured ginghams are among my favs. Thomas Mason have some great ones.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Love 'em all -- checks, tattersall, gingham. I think checks and gingham would be fine for your work environment, but tattersall would probably be a bit rustic.

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

Gingham is one of my favorite shirt patterns. I wear them for both cusual as well as less formal days at the office.

8. Morris

Morris Senior member

Gingham is one of my favorite shirt patterns. I wear them for both cusual as well as less formal days at the office.

Ditto

9. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Love 'em all -- checks, tattersall, gingham. I think checks and gingham would be fine for your work environment, but tattersall would probably be a bit rustic.

Tattersall is for farmer?

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I like checked shirts a lot. I think they look a little less formal than plain shirts, and they can be harder to coordinate, but that seems like it's less of an issue for you now. Wear them happily. I'm wearing one today in this fabric:

[​IMG]

I have a shirt close to this (I found it for about USD9.00) but I am undecided if I like it or not. Have not worn it yet.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

check and gingham patterns are my favorite shirts. a well coordinated check shirt with the right tie looks amazing.