• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you let somebody know you are not interested in a 2nd date?

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I broke up with my GF and I recently started dating again (some dates were with girls I met on-line).

Now the question is how do you go about telling people you are not interested in a second date? Do you tell them right after the date, a few days later or do you simply never call or e-mail them again?

I used to send an e-mail a couple of days later (women rarely seem to contact you first) but last time my date freaked out completely... :-/

Any advice / experience?

Thanks!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Right before dessert. Unless the dessert is a 'strawberry danish', in which case, you can be fairly certain she won't be calling you. Unless....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just don't call. One date doesn't require a proper breakup...just let it drift.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she calls you, then let her know how you feel. Otherwise, I agree with M@t, let it drift away.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that right before dessert is the best time. Here is what you do:

1) order the dessert.
2) excuse yourself from the table, and say "I'll be right back"
3) leave the restaurant
4) don't return or call again

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I agree that right before dessert is the best time. Here is what you do:

But you miss dessert? Leave after dessert, but before the cheque arrives.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
But you miss dessert? Leave after dessert, but before the cheque arrives.

Hmm, an interesting point. But, I think I've cleverly found a way to have the dessert and ensure a safe getaway too. Order some coffee, especially something like a cappuccino that will take a little bit to make. After you order the coffee, bail out and get some starbucks somewhere else while you laugh to yourself for another perfectly executed free dinner con.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I'm just glad that no one has suggested ear-boxing yet. Classy bunch here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously the nice thing to do is just to drop a text or email saying that you had a good time but they weren't what you were looking for. But I agree that just letting it slide is not a huge deal if you've only met once.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Hmm, an interesting point. But, I think I've cleverly found a way to have the dessert and ensure a safe getaway too. Order some coffee, especially something like a cappuccino that will take a little bit to make. After you order the coffee, bail out and get some starbucks somewhere else while you laugh to yourself for another perfectly executed free dinner con.

Genius. If I can find seven low-self esteem girls on plentyoffish.com per week, I think this will get me through These Tough Economic Times.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
just don't call. One date doesn't require a proper breakup...just let it drift.

Not calling is a ****** thing to do. Call them and let them know you aren't interested.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Not calling is a ****** thing to do. Call them and let them know you aren't interested.

How is that ******? Not calling your fiancÃ
00a9.png
and just "letting her drift" is ******.

Is it ****** if she's called you several times and you're giving her the voicemail scrooge? Yeah, that's lame. Pick up the call, tell her that you had a great time but you don't think you're interested and be a man about it.

But after you've had one date with someone, is there an expectation that you should call again? Unless you say something like "We should do this again" at the end of a date, I don't think there's any expectation that calls will/should be made. You ask someone out, you go out. Unless one of you brings up at some point doing it again, or agrees to call the other then I don't think you're obligated to call her. Especially if after a few days she hasn't called, you could just as well assume the feelings are mutual.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
why would you leave before/after desert? you wouldn't have even had sex with her by that stage
confused.gif

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
why would you leave before/after desert? you wouldn't have even had sex with her by that stage
confused.gif

amateur. i ******** before we even eat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads