• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How do you let somebody know you are not interested in a 2nd date?

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I broke up with my GF and I recently started dating again (some dates were with girls I met on-line).

Now the question is how do you go about telling people you are not interested in a second date? Do you tell them right after the date, a few days later or do you simply never call or e-mail them again?

I used to send an e-mail a couple of days later (women rarely seem to contact you first) but last time my date freaked out completely... :-/

Any advice / experience?

Thanks!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Right before dessert. Unless the dessert is a 'strawberry danish', in which case, you can be fairly certain she won't be calling you. Unless....

Reaction score
just don't call. One date doesn't require a proper breakup...just let it drift.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that right before dessert is the best time. Here is what you do:

1) order the dessert.
2) excuse yourself from the table, and say "I'll be right back"
3) leave the restaurant
4) don't return or call again

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I agree that right before dessert is the best time. Here is what you do:

But you miss dessert? Leave after dessert, but before the cheque arrives.

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read 'interested' as 'arrested.'

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
But you miss dessert? Leave after dessert, but before the cheque arrives.

Hmm, an interesting point. But, I think I've cleverly found a way to have the dessert and ensure a safe getaway too. Order some coffee, especially something like a cappuccino that will take a little bit to make. After you order the coffee, bail out and get some starbucks somewhere else while you laugh to yourself for another perfectly executed free dinner con.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I'm just glad that no one has suggested ear-boxing yet. Classy bunch here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously the nice thing to do is just to drop a text or email saying that you had a good time but they weren't what you were looking for. But I agree that just letting it slide is not a huge deal if you've only met once.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Hmm, an interesting point. But, I think I've cleverly found a way to have the dessert and ensure a safe getaway too. Order some coffee, especially something like a cappuccino that will take a little bit to make. After you order the coffee, bail out and get some starbucks somewhere else while you laugh to yourself for another perfectly executed free dinner con.

Genius. If I can find seven low-self esteem girls on plentyoffish.com per week, I think this will get me through These Tough Economic Times.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]
just don't call. One date doesn't require a proper breakup...just let it drift.

Not calling is a shitty thing to do. Call them and let them know you aren't interested.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Not calling is a shitty thing to do. Call them and let them know you aren't interested.

How is that shitty? Not calling your fiancÃ
and just "letting her drift" is shitty.

Is it shitty if she's called you several times and you're giving her the voicemail scrooge? Yeah, that's lame. Pick up the call, tell her that you had a great time but you don't think you're interested and be a man about it.

But after you've had one date with someone, is there an expectation that you should call again? Unless you say something like "We should do this again" at the end of a date, I don't think there's any expectation that calls will/should be made. You ask someone out, you go out. Unless one of you brings up at some point doing it again, or agrees to call the other then I don't think you're obligated to call her. Especially if after a few days she hasn't called, you could just as well assume the feelings are mutual.

appolyon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why would you leave before/after desert? you wouldn't have even had sex with her by that stage

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
why would you leave before/after desert? you wouldn't have even had sex with her by that stage

amateur. i have sex before we even eat.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%