• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you know when you can gate check a bag?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On smaller regional flights you can often check most bags right on the gangway before you board the plane, as long as they aren't massive suit cases. What is the cut off, and how do you know if you can do this? I'm traveling with a larger than normal bag this time for a 5 day trip but I have to make a dinner appointment like 30 min after I touch down so I don't want to sit there waiting for my bag that I checked when I got to the airport.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's mostly the luck of the draw - depends on how aggressive the gate personnel are about enforcing rules. Technically most bags people carry on are too big to really be carry-ons: have you seen those little cages you're supposed to be able to fit your bag in for it to be a "legal" carry-on? They're barely bigger than a laptop bag.

I'd say take it and let them red-tag it on the gangway and be gracious about it and you're 95% likely to get away with it as long as it isn't egregious.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I think it's mostly the luck of the draw - depends on how aggressive the gate personnel are about enforcing rules. Technically most bags people carry on are too big to really be carry-ons: have you seen those little cages you're supposed to be able to fit your bag in for it to be a "legal" carry-on? They're barely bigger than a laptop bag.

I'd say take it and let them red-tag it on the gangway and be gracious about it and you're 95% likely to get away with it as long as it isn't egregious.

My experience also. My rule of thumb is if it fits through the baggage screeners, you have a good chance of gate checking.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
My experience also. My rule of thumb is if it fits through the baggage screeners, you have a good chance of gate checking.

That gate check scenario is, as far as I've understood it, to address the fact that small regional jets (ERJ's etc) don't have big enough overhead bins to fit 'legal' carry-ons (i.e. roll-a-boards). So if you have a carry on that you can get through security but is bigger than a small duffel bag, you'll probably wind up with the red tag.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't remember a recent flight where they didn't ask if anyone wanted to gate check.
This has been onboard and in the context of the bag not fitting in the overhead.
Pretty sure you could just ask at the gate before boarding.
These have all been Alaska Air flights btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads