• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you know if a dress shirt fits properly?

d.h.

Reaction score
As mentioned in another post, I'm a newbie who's recently lost 30 lbs and has to buy a whole new wardrobe. Like the title asks, how do I know if a dress shirt fits right? Like, how do I know if the collar isn't too tight/loose? Etc.?

I recently bought a Claiborne "Modern Fit" shirt in Medium. Seems OK but I want to be sure before I wash/wear it. Oh, and if you can recommend some good off-the-rack brands that sell fitted dress shirts (ones geared more toward nights out rather than work days) that would be great too. I'm willing to spend up to $150 per shirt.

Thanks in advance for all your help, guys. You're really helping my transition to becoming a new man.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the collar size is generally one inch larger than your neck measurement, but only use this as a rough guide. if it feels tight, then it's too tight. if it doesn't feel tight then the amount of 'looseness' is to some degree a matter of preference. for example, if you're a size 16, you can probably get away with a 16 1/2 if you prefer, but you can't go any smaller than 16 and still wear the shirt with a tie.

even though slim fitting shirts are in right now, and the slim fit is my preference, the bagginess around the waist is also a matter of preference and there's really no rule as to how it should be cut. if you like some loose fabric around the waist that's fine.

the 2 measurements which in my opinion should be exact are the shoulders and sleeves. the shoulder seams should rest on top of your shoulders, just befor the drop, and not down on your arm. also don't make the common mistake of getting sleeves that are too short. you should be able to lift your hands to your face without the shirt cuffs falling below your wrists.

i buy mtm shirts so i can't help you with the rtw recommendations.

coatandthai

Reaction score
I just realized that if the shoulder seam is supposed to rest at the edge of the shoulder, then every shirt I own doesn't fit me, and I own plenty. My problem is that I am thick (barrel-shaped) and not wide and flat (rectangular) so I need to buy XL, even though my shoulders are not that broad (maybe 21-22"). Hence, the shoulder seams droop about 2" off each shoulder. Does anyone else have this problem?

gregory

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem?
Yes, I do. I have to wear shirts with a 16" neck, but Canali shirts I bought with that size was too large for my shoulders. It doesn't look good. No one wants to emphasize his narrow shoulders.

Answer from God: Jantzen.

I have sold most of my Polo RL / Brooks Brothers shirts on eBay because of this reason. I previously had them tapered on the waist, but that didn't fix the shoulder problem.

People don't pay attention to shoulder fit very often. Look around you. It is a mark distinguishing sharp dressers.

General Koskov

Reaction score
If you're willing to spend $150 on a shirt, then you should be able to find a bespoke (or MTM at least) shirtmaker who will cost this much (even less sometimes). Then you can get whatever fit you like in whatever style you like.

Biggs

Reaction score
I'd like to add a couple of questions here if you don't mind.

1) On what part of your hand should the sleeve cuffs end?

2) If the cuff has two buttons, which button should you er... button?  If you button it to the "farthest" button, the cuff will hug your wrist.  If you use the other button(i.e. more "relaxed" fit), the cuff will line up on the first bone of your thumb(just directly below the wrist.  So what would be the proper way for wearing the dress shirt,

i) with a suit and tie?

ii) with only a tie?

iii) without a suit and tie?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The sleeve cuffs should end right where your hand starts, past the wristbone. Be sure to get your sleeves a little longer than even this (maybe half an inch or a full inch), unless you want your cuffs to ride up your arms whenever you bend them.

2) i) Button them both.
ii) Up to you.
iii) Up to you.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Your babysitter and her firm young looking mother can't keep their hands off you.  

What I did when I prepared my first order to Jantzen, I bought a shirt with sleeves that were too long.  Set the height where I wanted it on each arm and measured from there.  Have the babysitters twin help you, as it is easier with help.

Biggs

Reaction score
For question 2, you can't button them both because a cuff has only one button hole.  What I meant was if I button the first button, it would result in a more tighter fit(i.e. the hole would "overlap" with the second button to allow the first button to go through).  If I don't button it, it would be just like when it was displayed on the rack.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For question 2, you can't button them both because a cuff has only one button hole.  What I meant was if I button the first button, it would result in a more tighter fit(i.e. the hole would "overlap" with the second button to allow the first button to go through).  If I don't button it, it would be just like when it was displayed on the rack.
Oh, you're not talking about the double-button barrel cuff then. What I do is, I choose the button that lets my shirt peek out from my suit sleeve.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The sleeve cuffs should end right where your hand starts, past the wristbone. Be sure to get your sleeves a little longer than even this (maybe half an inch or a full inch), unless you want your cuffs to ride up your arms whenever you bend them.

2) i) Button them both.
ii) Up to you.
iii) Up to you.
How can you give a proper lenght and said to add 1 inch after?

I thing your cuff must stay where you said first but when you move your arm

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you give a proper lenght and said to add 1 inch after?

I thing your cuff must stay where you said first but when you move your arm
Because if the sleeve is only at the "proper length," what happens when you bend your arm?

That extra length of fabric makes it possible to still have your wrists hidden under your cuffs, as opposed to becoming bare.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Original post by matadorpoeta:
the 2 measurements which in my opinion should be exact are the shoulders and sleeves. the shoulder seams should rest on top of your shoulders, just before the drop, and not down on your arm.
Matadorpoeta:
Could you perhaps post a picture of the correct placing of the shoulder seam? I can't 'visualise' the right place for the seam based on your description. If you can't post a picture, could you please elaborate what you mean with 'just before the drop'?
I'd like to know so I can better judge the result of my first m-t-m shirt. That judgement I'll of course use to have a better fitting second shirt.
Thanks in advance,

MtB

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you give a proper lenght and said to add 1 inch after? I thing your cuff must stay where you said first but when you move your arm
Because if the sleeve is only at the "proper length," what happens when you bend your arm? That extra length of fabric makes it possible to still have your wrists hidden under your cuffs, as opposed to becoming bare.
so they are not at the proper lenght as the proper is the right lenght on a living boby...

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so they are not at the proper lenght as the proper is the right lenght on a living boby...
I have no idea what a "boby" is, so you're probably talking about the body.

If you read my previous posts, you'll find that I never once called my guidelines "proper length."

I told the original poster to find the length to where his hand meets his wrist, and get an extra inch or so from there.

Length to hand + Extra inch = Proper length

And that's what I've been saying all along.

I think the original poster managed to get my point about an entire page back. I could really care less about you debating semantics with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads