• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep your white pants clean?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I wore a pair of white cotton chinos the other day and the hems were covered in dust and other grime by the end of the day. The hems are still grimy and dirty after laundering. I have a feeling these pants can never be restored to their original lustrous white.

How do you keep your white pants as clean as physically possible when you're wearing them? Do you have any secrets to share with a white pant newbie? Thanks!

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

You don't, gotta find a good cleaner. What did you expect?

I don't think drycleaning can help much. I've had white/blue striped seersucker pants drycleaned before and they came back just like they were before I took them to the drycleaners.
eh.gif

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I wore a pair of white cotton chinos the other day and the hems were covered in dust and other grime by the end of the day. The hems are still grimy and dirty after laundering

Cotton Chinos right... Chuck them in the washing machine with some detergent and some oxi-clean and press go.

I had a pair of white flannels for a while - that was a nightmare, they never loked the same after the first couple of wears.

White linen the best, I brutalize my linen trousers in the washing machine at pretty high temps - no dramas.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have white linen pants that I wash after every wear. There is no way to avoid this, at least in my case, which is why I always buy machine washable white pants.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buy white jeans and wash them. Stay away from nice pants in anything lighter than ivory. They just seem to be a magnet for dirt.

I love white jeans. Have been wearing them since I was a kid in the 60's. Wore them with madras belts and blue OCBDs and desert boots or sockless with weejuns.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's impossible to avoid little scuffs and marks appearing near the hems of white/pale trousers. It's part of wearing them; live with it. Just wash/dry-clean them frequently, depending on their care instructions.

Getting them hemmed to a half-break (or even shorter)instead of a full-break helps, provided that decision meshes stylistically with the size of the leg opening, and your overall style, but even that will not avoid the problem completely. It's just part of the deal. Which is why whites, creams, and other pale trousers/suit are fun items and not to be worried about too much.

TRA8324

Reaction score
oxi-clean works pretty well for me. I'll occasionally bleach them though...i know it's bad, but I don't wear them too often so it's not like i'm bleaching them every week.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can only wear them once before they need laundering. Boil wash does it for me. I have about 5 white chinos from Rugby only about $80 each.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Dont spend a lot of money on white pants. They have a shelf life of 2 seasons, tops if you are active in them.

Active in them?

Not all grass stains are linked to terrible souvenirs...
laugh.gif

tombrokaw

Reaction score
I'm always mindful of what I'm doing, brushing up against things etc.

I inspect my pants immediately after wear to see if anything needs spot cleaning.

I have 3 pairs of white pants and rotate them.

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
I'm always mindful of what I'm doing, brushing up against things etc.

I inspect my pants immediately after wear to see if anything needs spot cleaning.

I have 3 pairs of white pants and rotate them.

That is a bit paranoid.

I think that white/off white pants can be worn with little marks and spots here and there, as long as they are casual/semi-casual types, like cargos or chinos.

johnright13

Reaction score
hey man don't worry about your white pants. because there are many detergents and washing powder available for washing cloths in market. I think arial is the best washing powder to clean your white pants. first of all take 2 spoons powder in bucket and some water, then put your white pants in that bucket. Put it for 1-2 hours then take out pants and wash it with detergent your pants will look shiny like a new pants.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not to hijack the thread, but.

now thats after one wearing. if the color was one that did not show the dirt what you have done?
nothing of course, and the trousers would now still be dirty, right?
thats what most guys think. if they cant see it then it must be clean. dirt is every wear.

sorry but i dont know how to help get your trousers clean. except dry cleaning.
or try some of the pre laundering liquids.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads