• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep your trousers pressed and looking sharp?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a young guy with a small stable of trousers and after one or two wears the pants are wrinkled and shabby looking. I bought a Corby pant press thinking I could avoid the dry cleaner and saving money on frequent presses but it's a piece of junk. I've tried ironing by hand but I haven't got it quite right and find myself creating multiple creases, ruining it.

I thought about buying a full pant steamer like this: http://www.hammacher.com/Product/75427?source=FROOGLE but I don't really have room in my apartment and frankly it seems overkill.

How do you keep your pants looking sharp? Do you press or steam after each wear? Advice is appreciated.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Every night before I go to bed, I neatly place my trousers for the next day between the box springs and the top mattress on my bed. It works wonderfully.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I've heard of military folks sewing their creases in permanently, though it's probably against regulations.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invest in a good iron and work on your technique, and practice. That said, it seems odd to me that you have these issues. I never iron my office pants and suit pants, they don't ever seem to need it. I have them professionally cleaned and pressed maybe 2-3x per year max. After every wearing, I brush them, hang them very carefully, and leave them for 7-10 days on the hanger. Next time I pull them out, they always have a nice crease and look fresh and devoid of any evidence of prior wear.

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Has anyone heard of or tried a Supercrease in their trousers?

http://www.supercrease.com/

we do this at the store that i manage, its wonderful, it was started by the military...you can take your trousers to any Jospenh A Bank or Mens Wearhouse and they will do it for you...I think that is only $8.00 or so, i believe that many dry cleaners do this as well...well worth it

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Invest in a good iron and work on your technique, and practice. That said, it seems odd to me that you have these issues. I never iron my office pants and suit pants, they don't ever seem to need it. I have them professionally cleaned and pressed maybe 2-3x per year max. After every wearing, I brush them, hang them very carefully, and leave them for 7-10 days on the hanger. Next time I pull them out, they always have a nice crease and look fresh and devoid of any evidence of prior wear.
same here, i haves a clothes valet that i hang them on every night after getting home and remove and hang the next night and store. its seems a good pair of worsted gabardine to users should not have this issue...

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the permanent crease applied to a pair of trousers. They really do stay crisp.

That said, learning how to iron pants is a skill you want to learn. It's frustrating at first, but worth doing. The important thing is lining up the seams and getting the pants completely flat--after that, the actual ironing is immaterial.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great tips here!

I should have clarified, my suit slacks (fine fabric) get many many wears and look great. However in my office which is business casual I usual wear thicker stuff like Bill's Khakis, corduroys, or thicker wool slacks and these don't hold up worth a damn. Literally two wears and creases are soft, behind the knees and lap wrinkled. As soon as I got home I hang them but the wrinkles do not fall out. Would the Supercrease work on a heavier fabric like a khaki?

Thank you,
Jacob

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)

Originally Posted by 69clyde
same here, i haves a clothes valet that i hang them on every night after getting home and remove and hang the next night and store. its seems a good pair of worsted gabardine to users should not have this issue...

Are you guys hanging them by the cuffs? I love that fresh pressed crease so I usually re-iron them myself next wearing.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried both hanging by cuff and folding over and prefer the fold.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Are you guys hanging them by the cuffs? I love that fresh pressed crease so I usually re-iron them myself next wearing.

+1
I really like a fresh crease, so I usually like to iron before I head out.

dinogj

Reaction score
I love ironing my pants. when i had an office, i kept a mini ironing board and a steamer just in case.

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
How do you keep your trousers pressed and looking sharp?

maestro7.jpg

I keep them on the hanger for as long as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics