• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep motivated to go to the gym?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snuggles
One reason that you have trouble being motivated to go to the gym is because it is unnatural and detrimental to your skeletal structure and joints. Develop a bodyweight routine and pursue activities which naturally exercise your muscles.

I'm not here to be belligerent so please spare me, I am curious.

I could see how a your body could be telling you not to go to the gym because of the pain you put it through, sure. And we know that heavy loads are not the best for joints, even when done with perfect form. I can no longer do squats or heavy leg work do in part to bad knees, but more so from having titanium screws drilled all through my pelvis. The stress is too great, and I can feel it through my hips significantly, I've had many a physical therapist, physician, athletic trainer etc.. tell me never put that stress on your legs again. While I am a special case, clearly they don't think it's good.

But I would like to know the scientific backing of weight lifting being bad for your skeletal structure. Not including the injuries that can be had from poor form over time etc.. Because most research backs the theory that bone structure (not skeletal structure) is strengthened from weight work. As an example: http://www.springerlink.com/content/v1kh35f1a6579vmr/

I am not familiar with any detailed research from this and I am curious, if you have it.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prove it, sweetheart.

Proving it would require showing you every peer-reviewed scientific study ever published. I'm sure you don't understand this, as you've proven your less-than-stellar intelligence many times already.
The burden of proof rests on your shoulders.
Alas, you seem to be content with trolling and will likely continue to do so no matter how much everyone else implores you to take advantage of what little common sense you have.

Carry on, troll, until a mod lifts the banhammer. I'm done.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We lower-class folk don't employ a proper vocabulary because we're atrociously undereducated ignoramuses. We therefore rely on the esteemed intellectual prowess of entitled, superior, and unflinchingly arrogant individuals like yourself to point out our mistakes. We quail before the responsibility you must feel.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You certainly love something alright, but it isn't wisdom.

If the sum total of what you know is wisdom, then I'd rather submit to intellectual vice and falsehood.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I'm not here to be belligerent so please spare me, I am curious.

I could see how a your body could be telling you not to go to the gym because of the pain you put it through, sure. And we know that heavy loads are not the best for joints, even when done with perfect form. I can no longer do squats or heavy leg work do in part to bad knees, but more so from having titanium screws drilled all through my pelvis. The stress is too great, and I can feel it through my hips significantly, I've had many a physical therapist, physician, athletic trainer etc.. tell me never put that stress on your legs again. While I am a special case, clearly they don't think it's good.

But I would like to know the scientific backing of weight lifting being bad for your skeletal structure. Not including the injuries that can be had from poor form over time etc.. Because most research backs the theory that bone structure (not skeletal structure) is strengthened from weight work. As an example: http://www.springerlink.com/content/v1kh35f1a6579vmr/

Thanks for the civilized response. My counsel to the poster of the question 'How do you keep motivated to go to the gym?' was issued in light of the querent, specifically, who admittedly found it a chore, even after a decade of habit, to drag his tired bones to the local merchant of mechanized exercise. One reason why he might have this trouble, aside from the effort of actually going to and fro, is because the unnaturalness-reward ratio is rather unappealing to him - or, more to the point, his body.

This is not to say that all weightlifting is damaging or pointless for all people, of course, but if both mind and body are resisting the effort, perhaps one should take heed. Joint and spinal pain and other injuries are by no means irrelevantly rare among bodybuilders, if the saturation of these topics in their literature is to be believed, and as your own case attests; the more unnaturally stressful the weights and the less fluid the motions, the more likely a nasty surprise will result. Combine this with the artery-clogging and calcium-leaching diet 'regime' of most bodybuilders, and a disinterested observer begins to question whether these people have any clue what they are doing. Those less susceptible to mass advertising and more inclined to love their bodies will be drawn to the most natural ways and means to achieve goals regarding their most natural possession.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
Proving it would require showing you every peer-reviewed scientific study ever published. I'm sure you don't understand this, as you've proven your less-than-stellar intelligence many times already.
The burden of proof rests on your shoulders.
Alas, you seem to be content with trolling and will likely continue to do so no matter how much everyone else implores you to take advantage of what little common sense you have.

Carry on, troll, until a mod lifts the banhammer. I'm done.

So if others don't provide proof, it's because the proof doesn't exist. If you don't provide proof, it's because it's merely too difficult to bother. You were done before you realized it.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
We lower-class folk don't employ a proper vocabulary because we're atrociously undereducated ignoramuses. We therefore rely on the esteemed intellectual prowess of entitled, superior, and unflinchingly arrogant individuals like yourself to point out our mistakes. We quail before the responsibility you must feel.

I take this that you do not, after all, have any peer-reviewed literature supporting your spelling. Only sarcasm and self-loathing.

Snuggles

Reaction score
If the sum total of what you know is wisdom, then I'd rather submit to intellectual vice and falsehood.

Obviously, because this scenario is already in play.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Even lower than 'Johnny-come-lately' is 'utilizing', the class tenor of which you seem entirely innocent.

The only true distinction between "use" and "utilize" is the pretension* of the latter.

For this reason, I found it extraordinarily appropriate.

*Synonym: pretentiousness. As a commoner of apparently lower birth than our esteemed "Snuggles**", tone-deaf to the class implications of my own ape-like grunting, I am unsure which I should use in this situation. I am sure that our very own "Snuggles" will illuminate the issue with the bright light of his learned (and humble) mind.

**A name that instills confidence in its bearer's wisdom and awe of what we must assume to be his superior lineage. Almost as impressive is his use of the phrase "local merchant of mechanized exercise" in place of the decidedly lower-class, insultingly brief "gym". Perhaps "gymnasium" would be acceptable if one had a pressing reason to finish one's sentence in a timely manner; however, a gentleman should never feel rushed.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if others don't provide proof, it's because the proof doesn't exist. If you don't provide proof, it's because it's merely too difficult to bother. You were done before you realized it.

You obviously are not familiar with the concept of "burden of proof." Proving a positive claim and disproving a negative one are different procedures. If you'd like to browse through the entirety of peer-reviewed literature on the topic of exercise in order to determine that it does not in fact support your views, then I'm sure we could arrange a nice secluded cubicle from which you could do so.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not to say that all weightlifting is damaging or pointless for all people, of course, but if both mind and body are resisting the effort, perhaps one should take heed. Joint and spinal pain and other injuries are by no means irrelevantly rare among bodybuilders, if the saturation of these topics in their literature is to be believed, and as your own case attests; the more unnaturally stressful the weights and the less fluid the motions, the more likely a nasty surprise will result. Combine this with the artery-clogging and calcium-leaching diet 'regime' of most bodybuilders, and a disinterested observer begins to question whether these people have any clue what they are doing. Those less susceptible to mass advertising and more inclined to love their bodies will be drawn to the most natural ways and means to achieve goals regarding their most natural possession.

Most weightlifters educate themselves on how to properly lift weights in order to minimize injury. In addition, bodybuilders supplement calcium, usually in the form of a multivitamin. Also, though their consumption of protein is high, they eat very lean meats and their intake of saturated fats is much much lower than most of the populace. They also supplement with essential ***** acids - hence, it is rare to see a bodybuilder with heart problems.
Your suggestion that I produce every scientific study ever published is not only ludicrous, but impossible given relatively short life span of **** sapiens sapiens. Evidently Philosoph is aware of this. If a person of his modest breeding is knowledgable of such an elementary scientific concept, surely you, dear Sir, are as well?

Snuggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
The only true distinction between "use" and "utilize" is the pretension* of the latter.

For this reason, I found it extraordinarily appropriate.

Again, as I first stated: innocent of its class baggage.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
to put it crudely, back your claim up or back down.

Quite crudely. You must be of the working classes.

Snuggles

Reaction score
You obviously are not familiar with the concept of "burden of proof." Proving a positive claim and disproving a negative one are different procedures. If you'd like to browse through the entirety of peer-reviewed literature on the topic of exercise in order to determine that it does not in fact support your views, then I'm sure we could arrange a nice secluded cubicle from which you could do so.

Having fun yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads