• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep a Suit Jacket or Blazer folded?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Usually i fold it down the middle, the chest part inwards, and then fold in half at the midsection.

Is this the wrong way? i would think folding it any other way would crease the shoulder pads or wreck the inner canvass (for full canvass suits).

Also, would storing suit jackets or blazers in this fashion for long periods of time damage the jacket in anyway?
Like for one thing, i noticed the natural fuller roll of the lapel on better suits when folded obviously lay creased flat on the canvass. when storing jackets in this way, i would suspect the natural roll would disappear and stay flat creased when taken out of storage for awhile.

thanks.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean folding for packing in a suitcase, your method is probably OK. If you are talking about home or office, then put it on a decent quality wood hanger. I keep a hanger at my office and hang my suit coat/sport jacket when I'm not wearing it. Also, I take it off and lay it on the back seat of my car if I'm driving for more than ten minutes.

Twotone

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
If you mean folding for packing in a suitcase, your method is probably OK. If you are talking about home or office, then put it on a decent quality wood hanger. I keep a hanger at my office and hang my suit coat/sport jacket when I'm not wearing it. Also, I take it off and lay it on the back seat of my car if I'm driving for more than ten minutes.

Twotone

thanks. obviously i was referring to storage when lack of space available, and packing for suitcase. would constant folding and packing or long durations of time kept in that manner permanently affect the canvass, lapel, shoulder pad, etc?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Jay Jay mentioned using these to put his suits, trousers, jackets, and dress shirts while traveling. They look like they could be a decent way to store things as well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
would constant folding and packing or long durations of time kept in that manner permanently affect the canvass, lapel, shoulder pad, etc?
Yes. Folding is OK for a few hours in a suitcase but not for long periods of time. Hang the jackets.

To pack them, I use the "one shoulder inside out" method. I find that it keeps the shoulder shape the best

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes. Folding is OK for a few hours in a suitcase but not for long periods of time. Hang the jackets.

To pack them, I use the "one shoulder inside out" method. I find that it keeps the shoulder shape the best

but in the case of suits being shipped to you or suits being shipped to a retail store, arent they all essentially all folded and kept in that position for perhaps 5-7 days or even longer sometimes depending on courier service?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any reference link to this method?

No. Just turn one shoulder inside out and stick it against the other shoulder rather than folding down the middle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Turn them inside out, including the sleeves.

a-rock

Reaction score
Jacket%20How%20To%20Fold.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three posters, three methods - so far

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but in the case of suits being shipped to you or suits being shipped to a retail store, arent they all essentially all folded and kept in that position for perhaps 5-7 days or even longer sometimes depending on courier service?

Just saw that. Suits are shipped in large suit boxes, on hangers. They're not folded

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The one above is the one I was taught, and it is also the way SR ships jackets. Seems to work well, the apoplectic response of one disgruntled psychopath notwithstanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads