• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you justify spending $500+ on shoes?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really out of curiosity for the people that frequently purchase shoes in the range of $500+

Personally for me, I would only buy them if I see myself wearing them as staple items (probably wearing them at least 1x a week or at the very least 1.5x in two weeks.

For shoes that are a bit playful, flamboyant or whatever, I don't think it's necessary to buy this type in quality form since it will hardly be worn aside from a few occasions...

Not to start a perpetual flame war or anything, but I find shoes such as the Strand to be in the category of "hardly worn", at least for me, while dark brown captoes and burgundy wingtips dominate my weekly wardrobe.

So for shoes with scotchgrain or python material, how often do people really wear these footwear to justify the expense?

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justify to whom? I buy them, I wear them, I enjoy them. I like the way they look and I like the way they feel. They aren't placed on a pedestal and kept in pristine condition - but they are well cared for. Some are worn more than others, but all get worn. I don't feel I need any further justification beyond that.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess more or less to justify the logic behind spending $500+ on rarely worn shoes when you can just buy something similar at a lower quality. Nice shoes are generally expensive because of its durability, but that may not be an issue with shoes that are hardly worn.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does hardly worn or rarely worn mean to you?

I don't think logic is the definitive criterion when purchasing premium / luxury items. A larger number of less expensive shoes might indeed last as long if worn within a large rotation. For you, it may not "make sense" to spend more on a premium shoe if all you are concerned with is miles per dollar of shoe leather.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
For me, the justification for buying a certain pair of shoes is whether I can wear them reasonably often (keeping in mind I have a relatively large shoe collection, at least by non-SF standards) and whether I can afford it. For shoes I know will probably get less wear, I'm actually more inclined to spend more because in my mind they end up lasting longer. There's really not much logic to it once you reach a certain point though. The only reason I can offer for most of the shoes I own is that I like them and am fortunate enough to be able to afford them.

dohare

Reaction score
$500 can mean different things to different levels of income. when you say Strand do you mean AEs? at $345..and the service AE provides, i think it's well worth it. I'd wear them weekly if i had a pair.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is really out of curiosity for the people that frequently purchase shoes in the range of $500+

Personally for me, I would only buy them if I see myself wearing them as staple items (probably wearing them at least 1x a week or at the very least 1.5x a week.

For shoes that are a bit playful, flamboyant or whatever, I don't think it's necessary to buy this type in quality form since it will hardly be worn aside from a few occasions...

Not to start a perpetual flame war or anything, but I find shoes such as the Strand to be in the category of "hardly worn", at least for me, while dark brown captoes and burgundy wingtips dominate my weekly wardrobe.

So for shoes with scotchgrain or python material, how often do people really wear these footwear to justify the expense?

It is easy. You just start frequenting the Style Forum and soon you will be justifying a purchase of $5000 John Lobb bespoke shoes.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For cordovan, definitely worth it. They'll last you forever and a half. They might even save you money in the long run.

bings

Reaction score
Diminishing Returns.

After a while of wearing nice clothing and shoes you just can't get the same satisfaction out of a pair of $300 shoes as you did when you moved up from $100 ones... you have to spend $500 just to feel like you did something :)

This is the purely emotional argument.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Roger said I don't have to justify this to anyone. However I currently do not service any debts of any kind so this makes it a whole lot easier to purchase nicer things I like to wear.

Garasaki

Reaction score

Personally for me, I would only buy them if I see myself wearing them as staple items (probably wearing them at least 1x a week or at the very least 1.5x in two weeks.

Yeah so...staple shoes are definitely one of my criteria for spending that much on shoes.

I'm not planning on buying any python shoes, 500 bucks or no....

From your post, it seems like you are saying "spending 500 on staple shoes makes sense" but the title is "how do you justify spending 500 on shoes" and the answer really is...are they something you'll wear a lot (ie staple). At least for me.

On the other hand, there are probably those on this forum and elsewhere who have the resources to spend 500 or more on non-staple shoes...and frankly I don't think they have to justify their spending.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
How to Justify $500+ Shoes Based on SF Post Count

1 - 1,000 posts -- "You're buying quality footwear. It's an investment and the shoes will last for way longer!"

1,001 - 2,000 posts -- "I'm supporting traditional, artisan manufacturing processes and investing in quality while taking a stance against disposable fashion!"

2,001 - 3,000 posts -- "Well I haven't bought a pair of shoes that retailed for less than $500 in over a year, so..."

3,001 - 4,000 posts -- "I like nice things so I buy nice things. Justification is a coping mechanism that suggests you have no business buying expensive shoes."

I'll let you know how that scale progresses once I break 4,000 posts.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How to Justify $500+ Shoes Based on SF Post Count

1 - 1,000 posts -- "You're buying quality footwear. It's an investment and the shoes will last for way longer!"

1,001 - 2,000 posts -- "I'm supporting traditional, artisan manufacturing processes and investing in quality while taking a stance against disposable fashion!"

2,001 - 3,000 posts -- "Well I haven't bought a pair of shoes that retailed for less than $500 in over a year, so..."

3,001 - 4,000 posts -- "I like nice things so I buy nice things. Justification is a coping mechanism that suggests you have no business buying expensive shoes."

I'll let you know how that scale progresses once I break 4,000 posts.

I like this, and to some extent this is true.

Reasons change not just do to post count, but the amount you have purchased and time you've been buying them.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess more or less to justify the logic behind spending $500+ on rarely worn shoes when you can just buy something similar at a lower quality. Nice shoes are generally expensive because of its durability, but that may not be an issue with shoes that are hardly worn.

This is generally false.

Sure, they have better quality via better craftsmanship, materials, and construction. But people that pay meaningfully more for shoes thinking it will save them money via longevity will in most cases be proven wrong.

The value is in wearing a superior shoe for the time that you are wearing it, not in purchasing durability.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glib answer - because they're better (on the whole)

Glib answer 2 - because some people can

This need not be about footwear, good, bad or indifferent…

How do you justify spending $XXXXXXX on a wristwatch

" $ XXXX Tie

" $XXXXXXX Car

etc, etc

Work hard, play hard and take your pleasure where you see fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads