Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How do you justify spending $500+ on shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JezeC, Dec 27, 2013.

1. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

This is true for me regarding clothing, but not shoes. I'd love to find good shoes through thrifting or ebay, haven't had any luck so far. Mind you, I have yet to find a pair of AE or Alden that I like on my foot, and I greatly favor English made shoes for style and fit. I just wish they weren't so expensive new!

2. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Thanks, this is actually very useful and would have been very valuable as a guideline back in the days when I started learning English.

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

The justification to spend that amount on shoes in my mind come down to a few things.
    I like to support American companies producing products in America. I also like the comfort of the shoes I buy which are Alden's. I also like the way it makes me feel, every time I put them on It makes me smile. Lastly not everyone and there mother is wearing them...
    To add to this I would rather have cheaper clothing than shoes. I can't justify160 or 200 for a shirt made in the US. Spill something on it and it's shit. Shoes can be touched up or cleaned for the most part. Also I am a 30 yr who has been addicted to Alden for 6 or so years, So my view may be different .

4. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

Without SF, I wouldn't have decided to get GG MTOs.

Without SF, I wouldn't know GG.

Without SF, I'd save a lot of money.

With SF, everyone's getting GG MTOs

With SF, everyone knows GG

With SF, GG now costs much twice as much as it did.

So we all have SF to thank and hate.

In all honesty though, your feet support your entire body, and if you have to walk around all day, and you can't walk around all day in New Balances because of your job, or you're just a menswear peacock like me, I think it's very justifiable. Get the wrong shoes and your feet hurt, and then if you're not supported properly, your knees and lower back get affected.

Plus, I'm flatfooted and with MTOs I can get inbuilt arches in the shoes, so it's definitely worth it to me.

PS, kidding about the menswear peacock part. Kinda [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I know that this will not matter to those who have already made up their minds...but for those who are fairly new to this forum, it's worth repeating that buying used shoes to wear is borrowing all kinds of trouble. It's kind of like buying used underwear--you inherit all the problems...and yes, diseases...that the previous owner had.

Fungal foot infections such as tinea pedis are common in the general population. Toe nail infections--the kind that massively thicken and discolour are also fungal and as such can be systemic and very difficult to get rid of. DAMHIKT

Additionally, good shoes, esp. those that have leather insoles will already have a footbed--formed and pressed into it over many years--that cannot be entirely or satisfactorily reshaped. If that footbed does not match the plantar surface of your feet perfectly you may incur long term foot problems that do not show up for years and years. Bones are forced to shift into positions that are not natural and ligaments are foreshortened or stretched.

Anyone for russian roulette?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not one for buying used shoes, though for much simpler reasons. The idea seems a bit gross.

But I suspect that you'd need to only wear used shoes--and they from the same guy with the same formed foot bed--to do any real damage. A used pair in a large rotation probably isn't going to have any impact.

7. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

I have to agree with this. I would wear some cheap China shoes and long for a nice pair of AE or Alden before I'd pick up a used pair.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

plus one to not wanting pre-loved shoes.

9. MRMstl

MRMstl Senior member

+2

I contain my "pre-loved" purchases to sport coats, coats, and accessories (ties, scarves, watches, etc.).

Shoes are also usually the most expensive item in any outfit I wear. An earlier poster mentioned not spending $200 on a US-made shirt because if it's spilled on, it's ruined. I'm from a similar mindset. Put me in a pair of $500 Carmina, some pants/slacks from JCrew or Banana that were likely purchased for 75% off, a shirt from TM Lewin during their 5 for $160 sale, and a jacket I thrifted from the 'Bay and I am looking good and feeling happy.

Shoes can't turn a total garbage outfit into a catalog model, but they certainly elevate mainstream brands (BB, J crew, Banana, any department store) to an elite level. The opposite is true for garbage shoes--they reduce the same brands to a 'thud.'

Shoes are usually the last thing someone sees before completing their assessment of your 'look'. They are like the ending of a movie--we've all been to a movie that we were enjoying until it completely unraveled in the last 15-30 minutes. That's what a bad pair of shoes does to your outfit. Conversely, a great pair of shoes (or a great ending to a movie) will sweep away any preceding memories of mediocrity.

Just my $.02

10. gringodaddy

it is just unfortunate that in my experience, the price of entry of quality shoes at retail is so high, since this isn't necessarily the case with clothing on the whole.

11. in stitches

I think its more that its harder to find great shoes on deep discount the way you can find shirts, ties and SCs.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

True dat.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

You just did with Spoo!

14. gringodaddy

No doubt about it.

15. in stitches

Lol. That is true. But: