• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you justify spending $500+ on shoes?

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is true for me regarding clothing, but not shoes. I'd love to find good shoes through thrifting or ebay, haven't had any luck so far. Mind you, I have yet to find a pair of AE or Alden that I like on my foot, and I greatly favor English made shoes for style and fit. I just wish they weren't so expensive new!

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Orwell wrote extensively on the use of the English language. The only other author I can think of who dedicated more time and effort into parsing what makes a good sentence into a bad sentence is E.B. White.

Anyway, your phrasing reminded me of this line from "Politics and the English Language":

(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.
(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.
(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

I'll admit that I enjoyed the clever use of Δ , my love of Orwell notwithstanding.

Thanks, this is actually very useful and would have been very valuable as a guideline back in the days when I started learning English.

fitchottie

Reaction score
The justification to spend that amount on shoes in my mind come down to a few things.
I like to support American companies producing products in America. I also like the comfort of the shoes I buy which are Alden's. I also like the way it makes me feel, every time I put them on It makes me smile. Lastly not everyone and there mother is wearing them...
To add to this I would rather have cheaper clothing than shoes. I can't justify160 or 200 for a shirt made in the US. Spill something on it and it's ****. Shoes can be touched up or cleaned for the most part. Also I am a 30 yr who has been addicted to Alden for 6 or so years, So my view may be different .

Xancatrius

Reaction score
Without SF, I wouldn't have decided to get GG MTOs.

Without SF, I wouldn't know GG.

Without SF, I'd save a lot of money.

With SF, everyone's getting GG MTOs

With SF, everyone knows GG

With SF, GG now costs much twice as much as it did.

So we all have SF to thank and hate.

In all honesty though, your feet support your entire body, and if you have to walk around all day, and you can't walk around all day in New Balances because of your job, or you're just a menswear peacock like me, I think it's very justifiable. Get the wrong shoes and your feet hurt, and then if you're not supported properly, your knees and lower back get affected.

Plus, I'm flatfooted and with MTOs I can get inbuilt arches in the shoes, so it's definitely worth it to me.

PS, kidding about the menswear peacock part. Kinda
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With careful shopping on eBay I can find old used shoes, GY wleted, well made in USA, from manufacturers no longer in business. So no advertising to support the price of the used market. I have occasionally found near new Alden's at deep discounts, under $100, and my out-of-business brands were about at the same level. I have looked at more expensive shoes in store and online, but they hold no appeal for me.

I know that this will not matter to those who have already made up their minds...but for those who are fairly new to this forum, it's worth repeating that buying used shoes to wear is borrowing all kinds of trouble. It's kind of like buying used underwear--you inherit all the problems...and yes, diseases...that the previous owner had.

Fungal foot infections such as tinea pedis are common in the general population. Toe nail infections--the kind that massively thicken and discolour are also fungal and as such can be systemic and very difficult to get rid of. DAMHIKT

Additionally, good shoes, esp. those that have leather insoles will already have a footbed--formed and pressed into it over many years--that cannot be entirely or satisfactorily reshaped. If that footbed does not match the plantar surface of your feet perfectly you may incur long term foot problems that do not show up for years and years. Bones are forced to shift into positions that are not natural and ligaments are foreshortened or stretched.

Anyone for russian roulette?

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not one for buying used shoes, though for much simpler reasons. The idea seems a bit gross.

But I suspect that you'd need to only wear used shoes--and they from the same guy with the same formed foot bed--to do any real damage. A used pair in a large rotation probably isn't going to have any impact.

Mark_Y

Reaction score

I'm not one for buying used shoes, though for much simpler reasons. The idea seems a bit gross.

But I suspect that you'd need to only wear used shoes--and they from the same guy with the same formed foot bed--to do any real damage. A used pair in a large rotation probably isn't going to have any impact.

I have to agree with this. I would wear some cheap China shoes and long for a nice pair of AE or Alden before I'd pick up a used pair.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plus one to not wanting pre-loved shoes.

MRMstl

Reaction score
plus one to not wanting pre-loved shoes.

+2

I contain my "pre-loved" purchases to sport coats, coats, and accessories (ties, scarves, watches, etc.).

Shoes are also usually the most expensive item in any outfit I wear. An earlier poster mentioned not spending $200 on a US-made shirt because if it's spilled on, it's ruined. I'm from a similar mindset. Put me in a pair of $500 Carmina, some pants/slacks from JCrew or Banana that were likely purchased for 75% off, a shirt from TM Lewin during their 5 for $160 sale, and a jacket I thrifted from the 'Bay and I am looking good and feeling happy.

Shoes can't turn a total garbage outfit into a catalog model, but they certainly elevate mainstream brands (BB, J crew, Banana, any department store) to an elite level. The opposite is true for garbage shoes--they reduce the same brands to a 'thud.'

Shoes are usually the last thing someone sees before completing their assessment of your 'look'. They are like the ending of a movie--we've all been to a movie that we were enjoying until it completely unraveled in the last 15-30 minutes. That's what a bad pair of shoes does to your outfit. Conversely, a great pair of shoes (or a great ending to a movie) will sweep away any preceding memories of mediocrity.

Just my $.02

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its more that its harder to find great shoes on deep discount the way you can find shirts, ties and SCs.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You just did with Spoo!

Lol. That is true. But:

1. They were still pricey.

2. Deals like that are hard to come by.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads