Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how do you guys store your stuff?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Brian SD, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have all this junk from moving around that is still in boxes.. stuff that I don't want to get rid of but I have no place to put. I looked at stuff at IKEA to store it in but everything seems to have a specific purpose - file cabinets for paper, dressers for clothing, etc.

What do you guys do with your extra stuff like this? I can't be the only one who has amassed random items with no place to put them.

Any general ideas, or specific ones would be fine.

Basically the stuff that I have in my room right now is: Computer Desk, Bed, three-drawer dresser.

That's it.

2. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

My go-to store for storage is The Container Store. Their website has a lot of great ideas. The advice works even if you buy similar items at Target or wherever.

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Big plastic bins that you put in your extra storage space (big closet, attic).

Or...

Get rid of it. Honestly ask yourself if you need it. Does it serve a purpose or have that much sentimental value? It's tough to get rid of somethings, but afterwards it can feel good. It's cleansing.

bob

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm with Bob...easier (and cheaper) to get rid of stuff. If one hasn't used something in 12 months, why own it? Sell it, donate it, throw it away. Saves space, saves money (don't have to buy "storage systems") and maybe make a little walking around money.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I'm with Bob...easier (and cheaper) to get rid of stuff. If one hasn't used something in 12 months, why own it? Sell it, donate it, throw it away. Saves space, saves money (don't have to buy "storage systems") and maybe make a little walking around money.

Small heirlooms should be exempted from this treatment and put in a safe deposit box.

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

If you don't need it, discard it. Good Will is where I usually, go . . . my sister and I have no children, so we will have to disseminate our valuables, some time before we kick the bucket (s.) That will be bad, enough . . .

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Small heirlooms should be exempted from this treatment and put in a safe deposit box.
    Yes, of course. As should small heirs.[​IMG]

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you don't need it, discard it. Good Will is where I usually, go . . . my sister and I have no children, so we will have to disseminate our valuables, some time before we kick the bucket (s.) That will be bad, enough . . .

Junk it! If I haven't used it in a couple of years it's out.
    This is quite cathartic by the way. I'm amazed at how much stuff the average person is willing to keep around.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

well I definitely use this stuff. It's not junk, its just stuff that I don't know where to put. Printer-setting pieces, usb cables, stuff that I know I need.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Vintage Goyard trunk. I was going to say it's for my inner LabelKing, but that would be wrong.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Vintage Goyard trunk. I was going to say it's for my inner LabelKing, but that would be wrong.
    I appreciate the sentiment. I'd like to find my inner RJMan but there's such a dearth of Richard James here, I dare not speak of it.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Under the bed, thrown in the closet. Stacked in corners.