• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you guys fit into the APC Unisex?!

Sway23

Reaction score
How in the world do you guys fit into your APC Unisex jeans? I consider myself a pretty slim guy... but when I tried on a pair of Unisex jeans a few weeks ago, I could barely pull them on. I'm used to having a comfortably tight fit around the upper leg areas, but this thing was skin tight all the way down to my calves. My gf also tried on a pair of unisex jeans... her legs are pretty damn skinny, and even she had a hard time putting them on.

How do you guys do it? Do they eventually break-in to be much roomier? I can't even imagine how tight their Tight jeans are....

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are nuts.... Or should I say, extremely constrictive on the nuts. I had to return mine for a pair of Rescues, which aren't much better. Basically, they fit like spandex from just above the knee to one inch short of the waistband, and then all of a sudden they're an inch too big.

Damn you APC.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was considering getting the APC Women's Jean because I want a slim leg but if you have trouble fitting into the Unisex, I may reconsider.

What's your true waist size (tape measure yourself)? What size did you order? What are the jeans true size (see measurement index thread)?

Is the waist fitting OK; you're just having trouble with the leg?

Maybe we should add leg circumference (at various points: thigh, knee, leg opening (flare)) to the measurement index thread.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
my unisex/newstandards fit fine. i could even go a size down and be cool with it.

maybe it's the stiffness of the dry denim you're having a prob with. when i first got mine i could barely button the fly

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, they were pretty tight at first, but they do stretch out and break in. I'm not extremely skinny and they aren't skin tight on me. We'll see what happens when I wash them though....

Geowu

Reaction score
the same here. at first they were tight on the waist and from the knees up, but after some wearing they are confortable. btw, I'm currently a little overweight. I'm 5'11, 195 lbs.
have you tried going some sizes up?

Brian SD

Reaction score
They're kind of loose on me. The APC women's jeans are looser than the unisex of the same size. 28 Hipsters is about equal to 30 unisex.

Sway23

Reaction score
I'm usually a 30" waist, and when I tried on the New Standards in 30", they fit quite snugly around the waist. I can see the waist probably stretching to be more comfortable... but man, those jeans really were skin tight everywhere else as well. I felt like if I bent down too fast, I'd wind up splitting the seams. So I wound up getting a pair of APC English.

The New Standards also appeared to have a pretty noticable taper in the legs... I'm surprised that people seem to not notice this. I guess maybe I'm not "progressive" enough in my denim appreciation, but I really dislike the look of tapered pants. Which really surprises me that people often have a hard time deciding between getting the New Standards vs the Rescues/English cut. The cut is so different, it seems one would lean heavily towards one or the other.

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
I agree -- I dislike the tapered leg look so much. Infact I can't wear any jeans that don't cover a sizeable portion of my shoe without constantly thinking how akward it looks.

Geowu

Reaction score
I think tapered looks nice sometimes, specially with some boots, see Dior Homme style

Brian SD

Reaction score
I wear tapered jeans, or straight legs that are so skinny they can't taper without looking stupid. I like the look so long as they are tight up top. Can't have that horrible upside-down triangle look. Also, I really don't see the NS as being very tapered. They are almost straight to my eyes.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am liking the look of my Rescues through the legs about one week into the break in process. No taper; no flair. Just about right -- a pretty masculine cut, actually.

The waist (and more and more the seat) is another story. Both have stretched out considerably. I am a 33 waist in everything from Brooks Brothers to JCrew to Banana Republic to Ralph Lauren. I wear a 36 belt at the middle hole in Coach, Cole Haan, and Trafalgar. But I'll be damned if after a week of stretching the APC Rescue size 30 waist isn't at least two inches too big for me.

I'm actually a little concerned that after months of breaking these things in I'll end up with a great looking pair of jeans that are three sizes too big.

Brian SD

Reaction score
montecristo, they probably will not stretch out anymore than they have at this point, but if you throw them in the dryer with a softener sheet in the back pocket (wait at least a couple weeks of wear to do this) on high heat inside out for about 50-60 minutes they should shrink down to how they were before you stretched them. Works for me, anyway.

Geowu

Reaction score
After a week, at the waist, I agree with Brian that's probably all they will stretch. They won't stretch anymore at the waist, but the legs may still loosen up a bit. That's what happened to my New Standards. After some 2 months I feel the legs have molded, stretching in the parts in which they were tighter... they don't look so tight and tapered as they were at first, which is good IMO.

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
Would somebody be able to post the width of the end of the leg opening?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads