• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you guys do it? When?

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
So I am 23, about the graduate with my BA in psychology this Saturday (took 5 years, sports and major-hoping took its toll). I am going to continue going full time as a post-bacc student to complete pre-medical classes, and hopefully apply to medical school within 2 years.

Since I'm graduating, 23, and either going into medicine or psychology (both at a professional level), I figure I should transition from the thong sandals, somewhat poorly fitting American Eagle/Aeropostale jeans (its not my fault, I don't know how to find pants that fit), and band t-shirts into a more mature wardrobe.

I'm reading around here, looking at people's everyday pictures and I just don't understand how you people do it.

First off, I have NO idea what makers are what, who is good and not, and why someone I've never heard of in clothing can charge $80 for a t-shirt that doesn't necessarily look special. I have no idea what types of suits there are, much less what the difference in pretty much any type of clothes are (other than what jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies are).

Second, how, without having no family to support and a $200k+ per year job, do you amass such a collection of shirts, shorts, pants, jackets, sweaters, shoes, belts, watches, and other articles and accessories? I figure with nicer clothes you have to just buy it piece by piece. Instead of going out to buy 2-3 pairs of $40 jeans from Aeropostale now, I might try to find 1 pair of nicer jeans (but I'm afraid to buy them not knowing how to pick a pair that actually fit). But even then, how much stuff do you have to have to not wear the same things everyday?

And lastly, I guess, do you guys dress "up" when you get out of shower in the morning until you get into bed at night? Do you every just toss on whatever jeans and t-shirt and go about your day? Do you just dress up for going out at night, or a job? Or do you immediately toss on the shirt/tie/jacket and nice shoes before you head out in the morning for whatever reason you do so?

I really, truly would like to learn how to dress myself and to start doing it. I just have NO idea how you guys do it.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stealin, wheelin and dealin. "freelancer" for some parties that can not be disclosed on cyberspace, along with other pursuits of questionable nature (no manwhoring though).

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conversely, Manwhoring is how I made my first million.

Read a lot, is my best advice. For me, I will go out shopping in Tokyo durring the summer with a few grand burnin a hole in my pocket and buy a few things I like that I have never heard of the brand and buy a few solid pieces from reputable brands (Jeans and other outfit staples are ones that I dont **** around and buy the better stuff)

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
half a hundred grand in some rubber bands

only way to roll.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Conversely, Manwhoring is how I made my first million.

Read a lot, is my best advice. For me, I will go out shopping in Tokyo durring the summer with a few grand burnin a hole in my pocket and buy a few things I like that I have never heard of the brand and buy a few solid pieces from refutable brands (Jeans and other outfit staples are ones that I dont **** around and buy the better stuff)

Hehe, he said refutable brands.

Ratboy, I hereby refute your denim! It shall be denim no more upon this board!!

On a serious note, there have been threads on how to build a wardrobe from the ground up. Have a search

K

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahahaha, I meant reputable. Nice catch

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about masturbation.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought it was gonna be about sex

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
i thought it was gonna be about sex

As did I. Though this thread will probably get a lot of views for this reason.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
Jerks.

Seriously though, do you guys actually get up and put on pair of slacks/dress pants, dress shirt, nice (non-skate) shoes, and a blazer/jacket when you are just going to a college class or whatever?

I can see this stuff if you have a real job where its kind of expected with the dress code, but do people do this otherwise?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Great Satchmo
Seriously though, do you guys actually get up and put on pair of slacks/dress pants, dress shirt, nice (non-skate) shoes, and a blazer/jacket when you are just going to a college class or whatever?
Uh, yeah. As in all the time. About 10% of the time I showed up with 5-days growth and a coat held together with duct tape, but most of the time, yeah nice jeans or slacks, proper shoes, jacket. ~ Huntsman

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read this forum. A lot. Like every day for a month. Then come back with questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads