• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you gain strength with no added bulk?

anonymouschris

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not the typical request, but when i lift i get big too easily. i'm not a fan of the bulky look. any advice on how to workout, gain strength, but not bulk. i prefer being lean and trim.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
do more cardio, less resistance? Less weights/more reps? Do yoga?

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Eat less. Avoid hypertrophic set/rep schemes. Really, just eat less.

The downside of course is that you need food to get strong, so limiting calories to the point of adding no mass means that you'll add very little strength.

The alternative is to stop being a ***** and buy some bigger ******* clothes.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313

The downside of course is that you need food to get strong, so limiting calories to the point of adding no mass means that you'll add very little strength.

how will he maintain brain functions?

@op
I got the same problem, I can build up muscles in no time, but I can also lose them in no time. but yoga is a good start ..

anonymouschris

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313

The alternative is to stop being a ***** and buy some bigger ******* clothes.

it's not all about aesthetics, but the point of me working out is really to be more efficient in the sports that i play. i find that when i gain too much bulk i am not as quick playing bball, tennis, football, etc. i also rockclimb and being bulky definitely prevents progress in climbing.

yoga? i do it about 2 x a month. i should probably work that in a little bit more.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
how will he maintain brain functions?

By using Win98SE
devil.gif

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymouschris
it's not all about aesthetics, but the point of me working out is really to be more efficient in the sports that i play. i find that when i gain too much bulk i am not as quick playing bball, tennis, football, etc. i also rockclimb and being bulky definitely prevents progress in climbing. yoga? i do it about 2 x a month. i should probably work that in a little bit more.
You gain too much bulk and aren't as quick?... Too bulky to climb?.. So when you hit the gym you effectively gain 50 pounds or more of pure lean body mass?
07-09-01-FB-0080.jpg
You better give him a call; let him know how much faster he would be without that muscle. To answer your question, if you don't want to gain muscle, don't go to the gym. Go running. Don't eat over maintenance.

PrinceAli132

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
Don't eat over maintenance.
x2 You can not put on mass if you are taking in less than you burn.
when i lift i get big too easily
What kind of weight are you putting on and how fast are you putting this weight on? Also, how clean is your diet? I find it hard to believe that you are putting on a substantial amount of clean mass (muscle) in short time periods. Not saying its impossible but its rather damn hard to do, and to do well. Ali

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High weights, low reps. 3-4 Reps per set is good.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
not the typical request, but when i lift i get big too easily. i'm not a fan of the bulky look. any advice on how to workout, gain strength, but not bulk. i prefer being lean and trim.

Well it depends on your build on whether you'll be lean or trim, but if I were you I would just buy a punching bag and box. I've been hitting the bag for a couple months now and I feel alot stronger without gaining bulk. It really tones and strengthens your muscles. I used to have back pain 24/7. I tried everything to relieve it, but nothing worked. After hitting the bag for just a couple of days it went away. Ever since that happened I've been working out on it 4-5 times a week. I also incorporate other things, such as: jumping rope, box jumps, pullups, pushups, situps, running, etc. It can be a killer workout if you want it to be.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
The Cross-Fit workouts seem to be effective. The guys who do that are surprisingly strong, but not all that big.

Strength training forums seem to hate Crossfit for strength training purposes.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Strength training forums seem to hate Crossfit for strength training purposes.

I don't know man if you go on the crossfit website and look at the pictures of those guys they look fit as no other. Sure doing crossfit would not make you lift as much as a bodybuilder, but in a fight or in an endurance challenge I would pick a person who has trained in the crossfit program over a person who just lifts weights in the gym.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
You gain too much bulk and aren't as quick?... Too bulky to climb?.. So when you hit the gym you effectively gain 50 pounds or more of pure lean body mass?

07-09-01-FB-0080.jpg

You better give him a call; let him know how much faster he would be without that muscle.

To answer your question, if you don't want to gain muscle, don't go to the gym. Go running. Don't eat over maintenance.

Haha Gholston is one of the biggest freaks ever. Pretty much the only man in the world who is 260lbs, can run a 4.56, bench 225 almost 40 times, and squat 405 20 times...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads