• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.

EddieK

Reaction score
That last one cracked me up. I thought it was going to say "Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can afford".

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That last one cracked me up. I thought it was going to say "Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can afford".
I misread and picked the 3rd option, but really it's that one for me.

biscuitnoir

Reaction score
The hardest part of this crisis is dodging all of the sales. I bought way more things that I should have to be honest. It is circumstantial though. I was due for a shopping spree

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I am avoiding buying things because I don't want to overload the already-stressed delivery and logistics networks here in the UK. I made an exception to buy an Epaulet shirt which is being shipped to a friend in the US. I agree with the second post here, but I am also aware that small businesses and artisans need support. I suppose I should/could buy gift cards rather than stuff. I have been working on a mental post-Covid wish list, so will probably have a splurge when this is all over.

Oh, I did buy a couple of t-shirts from Son of a Tailor and a pair of light-weight casual trousers, as we were nearing the end of a renovation when the lockdown came so work paused, and all of our lighter clothing is in storage.

Razing

Reaction score
I don't personally feel strongly about any of the options. I haven't cut back on clothing purchases but I can technically "afford" them. I'm not taking on debt or anything to buy clothes but I'm also not paring all purchases down to the bare essentials.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I will support my local brick and mortar shops when they re-open. I did buy a $500 gift card from one of them, 3rd week of March. Since then, zero spend other than on a few vinyl records (that I always buy online; I'm not much for record store browsing).

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I ordered a bespoke suit and a sport coat right as things were shutting down, I’m just hoping I live long enough to see, let alone wear them.

I chose option 2 but I really need to be able to choose both 2 & 4. My other big weakness is rare books, and if anything I’ve accelerated my buying on that front.

Mikey#3

Reaction score
I bought a suit, and i feel a little good about that and a little odd about it too. I had decided i needed a blue suit, i have tons of gray, in December. being in no particular hurry i started saving, and i have the $$ set aside (i'm lucky to be essential, and work from home), and it was on sale, so that part is all cool.

it does feel extravagant, or maybe even wasteful, and i am giving the UPS guy another 4.2lbs to deliver. I probably should save the $$ because while i have a job now, this thing is rather open ended. i will wear the thing, but who knows when it'll be out in public.

on the 3rd hand, spending a little is good. i've made it a point to go to my lady's favorite restaurant (its down the street) once a week, and our yoga teacher has put up classes online, and the coffee store, i feel good about that stuff

in summary; really mixed purchase!

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wallet is also on lockdown, but we are paying our cleaning lady. The French government will reimburse us for most of her wages. Otherwise it's just essentials. Our sector is absolutely hammered so I can't justify extraneous spending until I know if I'll still have a job next year. So be it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Since my wife and I feel reasonably confident of our job security we definitely feel a responsibility to continue to spend money with local businesses. I haven’t set foot in a major chain supermarket in weeks, for example, and we are continuing to support our local service people (hair stylist, housekeeper, etc).

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
they’re struggling but they’ve also been able to offload quite a bit of overhead with rent/lease payment abatements and furloughs. Slashing prices is one of trying to keep some sort of revenue stream alive.

Prior to all of this, I received a $250 gift card from Paul Stuart. It expires on 4/30 (the last day of our shelter in place order in Chicago....I hope) and it’s not good for anything online. I’ll certainly try to use it when they open back up again.

Not sure why your gift card has an expiration date this early as you stated that you recently received it. Gift Cards, in the state of New York, by law have a 5 year expiration. Here in Massachusetts, we have a 7 year expiration on gift certificates and merchandise credits. We've never denied credit to any of our customers who have exceeded the time frame. Make friends not enemies. Some of our loyal customers are buying gift certificates to see us through this challenging time. Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why your gift card has an expiration date this early as you stated that you recently received it. Gift Cards, in the state of New York, by law have a 5 year expiration. Here in Massachusetts, we have a 7 year expiration on gift certificates and merchandise credits. We've never denied credit to any of our customers who have exceeded the time frame. Make friends not enemies.

sorry....I should have been more specific. Its not a gift card in the traditional sense. It’s something issued from Paul Stuart. Sort of a gift certificate if you will.

5C200EEB-0F29-4B9E-9572-C573425F22BD.jpeg

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still pounced on some great suitsupply deals. I wish my shoe discounts had the same effect on people lol. But I would support small businesses in one form or another myself.

I don’t really go crazy with purchases, but I am lucky to be in an ok situation so far that I can consider good deals.

be safe everyone

professorclee

Reaction score
The poll has limited options--in my case, I've reduced spending on clothes out of uncertainty over future income but am still buying occasional items on sale to support stores where I can. For instance, the small Swedish boutique Linnegatan did a "Prevail Sale" where they reduced by 30% now instead of in August to liquidate their stock now. Cavour and others are doing similar things for similar reasons. An obstacle is delayed shipping for other vendors. The Rake, based in the UK, indicated 4-6 week shipping time for some items. Receiving the occasional clothing item is, as always, also a means of obtaining some pleasure or joy in confinement.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The poll has limited options--in my case, I've reduced spending on clothes out of uncertainty over future income but am still buying occasional items on sale to support stores where I can. For instance, the small Swedish boutique Linnegatan did a "Prevail Sale" where they reduced by 30% now instead of in August to liquidate their stock now. Cavour and others are doing similar things for similar reasons. An obstacle is delayed shipping for other vendors. The Rake, based in the UK, indicated 4-6 week shipping time for some items. Receiving the occasional clothing item is, as always, also a means of obtaining some pleasure or joy in confinement.
Just to chime in on the shipping, I use DHL Express for my shop and in Europe the delivery is still 1 business day while to the US is 2-3 up from 1-2 during these times (understandable). Very interesting to see how it affects shops like the Rake or Mr. Porter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads