• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've spent the same amount on clothing as I normally would so far but I can see that tapering off if the quarantine goes on for months. The big change is really in restaurant and bar spending. Me and the wife both work in Manhattan so that's where all our favorite regular restaurants are but we don't live there so can't support them through takeout.

I'm shocked at how much the wife's spending habits changed though. She browses online shopping a lot normally at home but hasn't looked at clothes for like 3 weeks.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
I'm shocked at how much the wife's spending habits changed though. She browses online shopping a lot normally at home but hasn't looked at clothes for like 3 weeks.

Nowhere to wear it. I haven't wear a shirt since the lockdown (perhaps once)

I see this as a perfect opportunity to to reflect on what we have, what we need and where we are heading at.

Edit: I found other hobbies to spend: My bicycle requires new parts :)

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly my neighborhood dry cleaner still seems to be doing brisk business. I see them pressing white dress shirts on my morning walks, wtf?

I had already brought my clothing buys down to almost nothing over the last year and then bought about 1k of **** I didn't really need in February. That's probably the last of it for me till there's a vaccine or effective treatment.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going on a spending spree after this mess is over with the money saved by not going out regularly? Or will you continue with the austerity to build up an emergency fund or save for something else? I think I'm going to do the latter.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going on a spending spree after this mess is over with the money saved by not going out regularly? Or will you continue with the austerity to build up an emergency fund or save for something else? I think I'm going to do the latter.

Ironically, with everything being closed and limited access to buying anything beyond the necessities (I don't like buying clothing or shoes online), my emergency fund runneth over.

I probably won't go crazy, but I'm sure I'll treat myself to something.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I've made some purchases from retailers and eBay. Stuff from eBay sits in the garage for a few days and then gets wiped off, then I follow the normal guidelines: wash your hands for 20 seconds, don't touch your face, etc. Any clothing purchased from eBay goes right in the wash anyway so there's little risk there.

I'm not doing takeout but I am doing curbside pickup for some items: bags of mulch and a new propane tank so far. I wiped down everything once I got it home.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me and the wife had to cancel honeymoon plans in Portugal/Spain so when this is all over we might take extra week and hit an extra country.

jiredell

Reaction score
My wife and did some stress shopping in the first week or two of lockdown, but since we've gotten over that, it's been sending $ to our daycare teachers who are out of work with no income, and giving food and some $ to local homeless who are missing out on much of the daily foot traffic.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and the wife had to cancel honeymoon plans in Portugal/Spain so when this is all over we might take extra week and hit an extra country.
I imagine you're going to add France?

I went to Portugal two years ago. It is amazing, one of my favorite countries. If I had a free long weekend and could go anywhere in the world, I would return to Lisbon. I was planning to go to Spain this summer/fall but it looks like that's not happening.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

South of france is also nice. Or come to Norway and see something different!

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and did some stress shopping in the first week or two of lockdown, but since we've gotten over that, it's been sending $ to our daycare teachers who are out of work with no income, and giving food and some $ to local homeless who are missing out on much of the daily foot traffic.

Interesting to read. In Norway all daycare workers are providing home schooling material and work within the kinder gartens with looking after the Kids of health care workers and redecorating the kinder gartens. Everybody recieve their normal pay.

jiredell

Reaction score
Interesting to read. In Norway all daycare workers are providing home schooling material and work within the kinder gartens with looking after the Kids of health care workers and redecorating the kinder gartens. Everybody recieve their normal pay.

Yeah, same here, for public school kindergarten through 12th grade (or preparatory school, before university). But younger than that (my youngest isn't yet in kindergarten) and most daycares are private, so they were forced to close. I'm not sure about private daycares that are subsidized by essential occupations though? My wife's an attorney and we used to have daycare with her firm, but since she left the firm I'm not sure if the daycare associated with that is still operating. Daycares are already enormous petri dishes, even without coronavirus. And, I don't know how well daycare givers are paid in Norway, but in the US it's not a very good income.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
I think all the more reason to support artisans and tailors during this time. I'm a patron of craftsmanship. Or so I tell myself. IRS takes my money right away, I'm still waiting for my Trump bucks from big daddy Trump.

jts287

Reaction score
Nowhere to wear it. I haven't wear a shirt since the lockdown (perhaps once)

I see this as a perfect opportunity to to reflect on what we have, what we need and where we are heading at.

Edit: I found other hobbies to spend: My bicycle requires new parts :)
Designer clothing and bikes are a great way to burn money.

-former mountain biker

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads