• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought another Tie Your Tie tie from NMWA after receiving NMWA x Luxeswap credits :-D
1586460676206.png

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of BB oxford cloth pajamas on sale. This is also a time
of "forced saving" for us. We cancelled a trip last month and have
not been to any event outside our home. I (we) usually attend
classical music concerts several times a month. Also, in this area
while the small retail businesses are no doubt suffering, the major
employers, eg. Google, Facebook, Twitter, Salesforce, Intel etc
are thriving.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reduced my budget, but still bought things.

Casual pants were too tight, needed replacements.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will say I have held off buying some things online so I can buy them at the brick and mortar when things open back up.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying really hard to live up to my existing standard of not buying stuff just because it's on sale. 20% off all over the place is making my resolve fade fast.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say I have held off buying some things online so I can buy them at the brick and mortar when things open back up.

You must be in New York. There is virtually nothing in San Francisco brick and mortar to buy that is
Style Forum-Compliant .

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I already have a fairly full wardrobe - off in the pocket square thread, I was starting to inventory my collection, and I am basically in the high 50s. It is a bit hard to get worked up about clothes when you haven't worn them in a month.

I am doing a fair bit of takeout to try to keep the lights on at my local Mexican, Indian and Sichuan places.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I have no problem shopping for non-essentials right now, provided I’m not buying from a seller in a state under strict orders to stay the **** at home unless it’s on fire. I want to help people keep their businesses afloat without putting them at risk, so I guess I‘m just trusting that people along the supply chain are taking the proper precautions. Maybe I’m just fooling myself that this is possible, and that the world isn’t full of monsters who will force minimum wage staff to put themselves in harm’s way for the sake of an extra dollar.

I have significantly reduced my spending, though. Where a couple of months ago I’d think nothing of buying a dozen items of clothing in a week - and topping it off with an enormous Amazon order of more random crap I really don’t need - I’m now buying only larger items that might have a significant impact on my wardrobe options. I don’t need more socks, or yet another blue dress shirt with a slightly more pronounced herringbone detail than the far too many I already own, but this week I’ve gone a little crazy on a few blazers in unusual colours and patterns I wouldn’t usually wear, including this fruity number from Zegna:

D1258929-AB8C-4579-B6FC-D519F8DFA466.jpeg
A6973438-BF7F-4FE0-83C6-88F70278D263.jpeg

(Sidebar: I think there may be a little psychology at play here. I’m not usually a flamboyant dresser in the slightest, but given the grim state of the world I suspect I’m subconsciously choosing clothes that are a little more fun than my usual navy blazer and brown tweeds)

My only issue is that I don’t live in the US. I’m directly next door to China, and my country has been almost completely locked down since late January. The only flights allowed in are special repatriation flights for citizens who need to get home, so my eBay deliveries are currently flying to Seoul from my forwarding service in the US (with branches in LA, Delaware and NJ, with orders directed depending on which are still able to operate right now). From Seoul my shipments are shunted to China before being loaded onto a truck or train north to the Mongolian border, where they’re held in quarantine for a number of days before being allowed up through the Gobi to my city. I could order something today that’s at the bleeding edge of fashion, and by the time it reaches me it’ll have become passé, then embarrassing, and now it’s once again ironically cool :)

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#2. I'm leaning towards buying myself a gift cert from my fav bar/restaurant.
The added time stuck at home also lends itself to more browsing so I'm seeing more and thus coveting more but haven't pulled the trigger on anything unnecessary. New clothes don't seem worth it when you can't wear them anywhere but your living room.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted for #2 and doing takeout more than usual.

As an example, I bought a filson shirt from filson.com. They won't ship until "later". When the lockdown in Washington state ends, I think. I'm fine with that, but miss the instant gratification of buying something and getting a shipping notice right away.

After the 2008 financial meltdown, I bought a car a couple of weeks after that to help the economy along. I think it's important to stimulate the economy in some way during trying times. Every little bit helps!

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
There is virtually nothing in San Francisco brick and mortar to buy that is
Style Forum-Compliant .

I paid my last respects at the Hound on their last day and came away with a workhorse pair of Santorelli trousers to replace an identical pair that was getting worn down. Briefly contemplated a really fun Robert Talbott sportcoat (medium blue with thin bright red windowpane). (Everyone there was really gracious during what were the last 90 minutes of their jobs, and I hope they all landed on their feet.) CCC next door is always an options. I went to Wilkes Bashford without knowing quite what they were and had to do the "Oh **** this is a rich-man's store!" ninja exit. Might be an option for you though.

amiga505

Reaction score
I have no problem shopping for non-essentials right now, provided I’m not buying from a seller in a state under strict orders to stay the **** at home unless it’s on fire. I want to help people keep their businesses afloat without putting them at risk, so I guess I‘m just trusting that people along the supply chain are taking the proper precautions. Maybe I’m just fooling myself that this is possible, and that the world isn’t full of monsters who will force minimum wage staff to put themselves in harm’s way for the sake of an extra dollar.

I have significantly reduced my spending, though. Where a couple of months ago I’d think nothing of buying a dozen items of clothing in a week - and topping it off with an enormous Amazon order of more random crap I really don’t need - I’m now buying only larger items that might have a significant impact on my wardrobe options. I don’t need more socks, or yet another blue dress shirt with a slightly more pronounced herringbone detail than the far too many I already own, but this week I’ve gone a little crazy on a few blazers in unusual colours and patterns I wouldn’t usually wear, including this fruity number from Zegna:

View attachment 1368700 View attachment 1368701

(Sidebar: I think there may be a little psychology at play here. I’m not usually a flamboyant dresser in the slightest, but given the grim state of the world I suspect I’m subconsciously choosing clothes that are a little more fun than my usual navy blazer and brown tweeds)

My only issue is that I don’t live in the US. I’m directly next door to China, and my country has been almost completely locked down since late January. The only flights allowed in are special repatriation flights for citizens who need to get home, so my eBay deliveries are currently flying to Seoul from my forwarding service in the US (with branches in LA, Delaware and NJ, with orders directed depending on which are still able to operate right now). From Seoul my shipments are shunted to China before being loaded onto a truck or train north to the Mongolian border, where they’re held in quarantine for a number of days before being allowed up through the Gobi to my city. I could order something today that’s at the bleeding edge of fashion, and by the time it reaches me it’ll have become passé, then embarrassing, and now it’s once again ironically cool :)

speaking of flamboyance, I consider myself to be on a flamboyant side, but this waistcoat from Gagliardi got even me thinking... and yet, I am leaning towards keeping it.

GW272-1_4d5c2e76-753d-4836-a308-828e19d7a3b8_1000x1000.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads