• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about blake stitching?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Goodyear welting. Nice, sturdy, rough 'n' tumble. Easily resoled, hallmark of fine shoes everywhere. As such, I've always been skeptical of blake stitching. Feels like a shortcut. Lets water seep into the shoe. Sure, it's lightweight, and a lot of Italian makers use it. But I'm still skeptical.

As so often is the case, I have been true to my convictions until confronted by temptation. Mr. Blake and his stitching have come calling my name. The price is fairly attractive. I wouldn't hesitate if they were Goodyear. But they're not. They're blake. And I'm skeptical. But I'm thinking I could have them Topyed, and things would be just fine. Right? Right?

Am I making too much of this? What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you and blake get on? Is there a cap to how much you'd pay for blake v. Goodyear?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you actually resole your goodyear shoes or wear your nice stuff when you know it's going to rain? I don't really care either way, I buy the shoes based on their looks and what I know of their quality. Can't say I prefer an Alfred Sargent or Crockett and Jones over Romano Martegani, based on goodyear versus blake. I think a lot of people on the forum are "afraid" of blake, not because of any experience or knowledge, but just because it's one of those forum "commandments". I buy all my shoes at a discount/ebay and resoling them would probably cost as much as the shoes themselves so I never even think about it. I think if you stick with a good shoemaker, be it Martegani, Santoni, Borgioli or whoever else makes blake stitched shoes, you won't be disappointed nor will you feel like you are missing anything from goodyear shoes. There are a lot of crappy goodyear shoes.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only knock I have against blake is that the pair I own does not have a interior lining in the toes to cover the stitching. If wear them for a very very long day, the stitching can be an irritant. This seems to be the case with many blake shoes.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Blake stitched shoes for spring and summer because they are lightweight and Goodyear for fall and winter because they are more substantial. Of course Goodyear is better, but I've never had any of the issues that you described with my Blake stitched shoes. As to price I think the most they should cost retail is $500 or $600, but I must admit that I have a pair of Berluti that I paid twice that (first and last time). Also, the manufacturer that constantly touts its Goodyear welt (J.M. Weston) recently released a Blake stitched collection with the #425 catching my eye.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed's right in a way. There are crappy welted shoes and beautiful blake-stitched ones. I think it comes down to the esthetics and style of the shoe. If I'm getting a sleek Italian style shoe, I don't mind blake-stitching if the rest of the construction and materials are good. If I want a more substantial, double-soled, gunboat-type blucher, then I would probably insist on goodyear welting.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@chorse
...does not have a interior lining in the toes to cover the stitching.

Go to a cobbler - let him put a cover sole in - fixed.

pejsek

Reaction score
fwiw I don't plan on resoling any of my bentivegna-welted shoes either.
I agree that blake stitching often gets an unwarranted bad rap on the clothing message boards; it's interesting to see the groupthink changing on this question. As an ancillary, I'd be curious to hear opinions on blake-rapid. Blake-rapid stitching can be very good and I consider it to be superior to plain blake stitching in almost every way--it's sturdier and adds an extra design element. But blake-rapid is burdened by such an unfortunate name that fairly screams out concerns about cost- and corner-cutting. Maybe it could be renamed blake-magnificent (or -slow, -tedious, -meticulous, etc.). Anything with less of a whiff of the glue gun.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Do you actually resole your goodyear shoes or wear your nice stuff when you know it's going to rain? I don't really care either way, I buy the shoes based on their looks and what I know of their quality.

Originally Posted by EL72
If I'm getting a sleek Italian style shoe, I don't mind blake-stitching if the rest of the construction and materials are good. If I want a more substantial, double-soled, gunboat-type blucher, then I would probably insist on goodyear welting.

Truth be told, I might be less averse to blake if the ones I'm considering were another style. I own a pair of blake-rapid Marteganis and am more than happy with them. These, though, are a fairly rugged style, with double soles, and I had thought they might make good all-weather shoes. (That's where the Topy came in.) I like that they're unexpectedly light, but I'm still undecided. Feels like they're neither fish nor fowl. On such a shoe, it seems like a conspicuous cost-cutting decision.

I agree with Ed that there are certain forum bogeymen that have taken on excessive importance, but at the same time, I'm cheap, and I want to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. The old "pay for quality" chestnut holds more sway with me than "paying for aesthetics," though a bit less so as time goes on.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know, out of all the people on SF, out of all their goodyear welted shoes they owned, how many have actually been resoled in accordance with the advantages offered by goodyear welting. I would guess under 10%

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I feel about blake stitching? Well, on a scale of 19 to 31, I would say be obliged to say "mauve".
rimshot.gif

In my case I would not care much if I really wanted the shoes but I would certainly prefer welting as then at least I know that if I need to I can resole them. I have not had to do that yet though, as Tarmac noted.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people here simply own too many shoes for this to be a live issue.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It would be interesting to know, out of all the people on SF, out of all their goodyear welted shoes they owned, how many have actually been resoled in accordance with the advantages offered by goodyear welting. I would guess under 10%

+1

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
For me aesthetics>construction (altho construction is very important too)

and if my goodyear welted shoes needed new soles I'd just buy new shoes, but I've never had any of my shoes need new soles

I have Paul Smith, Martegani and A Testoni blake-rapid stitched shoes, and for those particular styles, the blake is better suited aesthetically than goodyear (which imo look best on heavy gunboats and "country" shoes)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

I'm guessing closer to 1%

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Some people here simply own too many shoes for this to be a live issue.

True!
crackup[1].gif
I am sure I am at the bottom end as far as number of pairs owned and I probably have more than a dozen.

P.s. what the hell is wrong with us
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads