• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you do your best work

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day, after hearing more about process and procedures and such, I started thinking about when I have done my best work. I remember days when solutions to complex problems would just come to me, sometimes in the middle of the night, snapping me awake and I'd work furiously for a period of time almost as if the whole thing was effortless.

Naturally, that kind of behavior isn't easily reproducible, so it is looked down upon by many. Instead, it seems the preferred corporate way of doing work is to create some kind of process and procedures, to ensure at least a consistent level of work (not necessarily high quality) that can be accomplished relatively quickly (or at least within a given timeframe).

While I'm not entirely opposed to processes (the scientific method is my friend), I do feel that when under a huge set of constraints, and forced processes, I certainly am not producing the most elegant, robust, creative, high quality solutions that I could otherwise. I am, however, producing, good quality, efficient solutions.

So, I ask you: how do you do your best work? Tightly controlled processes or more of a creative free for all? Maybe somewhere in between?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The question was "how do you do your best work" not "describe your sex life in one word."

Maybe those questions are one and the same in his case.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it depends. Some days it comes easily and other days it does not, and I can't find a correlation that relates to work environment.

adamsnez

Reaction score
when im listening to music - i HAVE to. state dependant learning.
i study my notes to music, so i write my tests to music. i listen to music in class.
i go into fail mode during certain exams and a teacher says "not in my exam mister..."

edit: 101 posts. i have now unlocked the CurrentEvents portal with 101manna points and skull caps ('08 F/W edition of course)

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
on my back.

emptym

Reaction score
Kwilk!
Originally Posted by Milhouse
... So, I ask you: how do you do your best work? Tightly controlled processes or more of a creative free for all? Maybe somewhere in between?
I think it's a process.
smile.gif
First I follow "tightly controlled processes" of preparation, and then I let go have a "creative free for all." Plus, prayer throughout the process, particularly when I haven't put in enough hard work in the controlled section. I once told a friend I'd finished something "by the skin of my teeth and the grace of God," and he said that should be on my tombstone.

emptym

Reaction score
Kwilk!

Originally Posted by Milhouse
So, I ask you: how do you do your best work? Tightly controlled processes or more of a creative free for all? Maybe somewhere in between?

I think it's a process.
smile.gif
First I follow "tightly controlled processes" of preparation, and then I let go have a "creative free for all."

Plus, prayer throughout the process. I once told a friend I'd finished something "by the skin of my teeth and the grace of God," and he said that should be on my tombstone.

willy

Reaction score
I would say a combination of the two...creatively structured...but yes...most of my ideas come to me right before I fall asleep

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With a bourbon in my hand and a mouth on my kack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads