• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you determine what collar is best for you?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a sort of formula for your neck length, circumference, etc., or do you just have to see it in action?

Subquestion: What is the collar used on all of Jantzen's display models? Just a standard spread?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Long neck = high collar

The taller you are, the longer points you can take (3 1/4" is as long as anyone can possibly need, in my view)

Round, chubby face = no button downs or club collars; longer point collars are best, spreads neutral.

lean face = spread collars best; points bad. Tab neutral.

Kabbaz will tell you that there is only one rule, but .. well, I will let him say it.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is only one rule: Be nice to your shirtmaker. Whatever the house style, take it. No sense forcing the poor guy to make a pattern now, is there, when some old tried, true, and boring BB knockoff will do?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Dusty, but my head ceramics teacher just married a Texan named Dusty - which means she's not coming back to teach this Summer - which means I'm gonna spend half my damn Summer on a pottery wheel. And it's all your fault.

Manton's rules are mostly fine. I don't approve of wide-faced or round-faced men wearing wide spreads or cutaways. Picture an egg on a pedestal.

Most other styles can be adjusted in width and point length (and point circumference in the case of a round club) to accomodate most faces.

If your neck is long, your collar should cover at least half of it - more is even better. Remember that your rear hairline need be trimmed sufficiently to remain above the collar for the entire length of time between haircuts.

Additionally, your suit collar and shirt collar should be coordinated to result in roughly 1/2"+ of shirt collar showing above the suit in the rear.

-------
Edit: P.S.: What is a Jantzen? Something like an Edsel, maybe? And why would a car have a collar?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see, thanks guys. Especially you Kabbaz, for helping me despite my inadvertent ruining of your summer. Very professional of you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads