• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you determine the quality of leather in a new dress shoe?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Hello,

Many of you know that I'm seeking a pair of men's dress lace-up shoes at/below $400 US.

Of course, unless I choose Alden or Allen Edmonds, I'll have to mail order anything else so maybe my question is useless but it might help inform others who are searching and can actually view some of the English and Italian shoes personally.

So...basically...is the actual quality of the leather in the uppers of most shoes retailing around the $400 range going to be largely the same?

If you do feel some brands at this price might offer definitely better leather, what do we look for as hallmarks?

For example, I think some of you think that "antiquing" hides inferior leather.

Are there other telltale indicators of the true quality? When a shoe is new, it tends to look nice, but the quality of leather may well dictate how long it lasts. Is there really any reliable way, when a shoe is in the showroom, to tell its true nature?

Thanks,
Jerry

apples

Reaction score
Good question! I'm interested in this as well as I'm about to start my higher-end shoe career. Probably about the same price-range as well (I'm leaning towards C&J).

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One way to tell the leather quality on a shoe, is by how natural-looking the leather is. Of course this is in no way a surefire method of gauging leather quality, but corrected grain often has a gimmicky,"polished plastic" look.

For under $400, C&J benchgrades, Allen Edmonds and Santonis are all going to be worth the purchase.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll attempt to tackle this question because no one seems to forthcoming. Corrected grain (a.k.a. bookbinder, calvary calf) is easy to spot by the relatively shiney appearance of the leather coupled with a plastic-like feeling. Crockett's Calvary Calf feels more "rubberized" than Church's "plastic" bookbinder, but the difference is minimal.

Entry level luxury manufacturers like Crockett & Jones, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo Lavorizione Originale, etc. use calfskin leathers with uniform dye jobs, unless purposely antiqued. I find that inspecting the grain is the most telling method for assessing for upper quality. Finer grain calfskin is generally superior. Check out the store displays or check out the footwear of the salespeople if they are wearing the company product. The crease/wear marks should be fine and subtle--subjectively, attempt to imagine the patina and how they should age after some wear. Better shoes will wear attractively, cheaper leathers will not.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It sounds like a bit of science and maybe more luck, to get a truly "distinctive" leather in the $400 range...unless you want to chance EBAY and hope you're getting a true "bargain."

Jerry

Jerry52

Reaction score
norcaltransplant said:
Entry level luxury manufacturers like Crockett & Jones, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo Lavorizione Originale, QUOTE]

Hello, Norcaltransplant, I never heard of Lavorizione Originale??? Good shoe?

Jerry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads