• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you define fatigue?

jellywerker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
No no no. You push yourself to your limit so you can get better.
If not, all football players would quit when they get winded and not gulp down tanks of O2 at the sideline. You think Phelps wasn't tired after getting his 4th gold medal? You think Lance didn't think of stopping when he is cycling through the high altitude French alps.

Limits and fatigue are excuses for losers. Push yourself and create new or no limits for yourself. I train till I am on the verge of retching. I don't because I don't eat nothing before my workout.

inlove.gif

This man understands and it's a rarer thing than you'd think, despite the Nike and Gatorade ads. Fatigue is when you can't see anything in the last 100 meters of a race, you've stopped breathing, and yet you still pull harder because you aren't over the line yet. It sounds poetic, but I've seen it and felt it and every good athlete you talk to will have some analogue for it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jellywerker
inlove.gif
This man understands and it's a rarer thing than you'd think, despite the Nike and Gatorade ads. Fatigue is when you can't see anything in the last 100 meters of a race, you've stopped breathing, and yet you still pull harder because you aren't over the line yet. It sounds poetic, but I've seen it and felt it and every good athlete you talk to will have some analogue for it.

...And you still finished in last place because everyone else managed their fatigue better.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's just a word, it can either mean overtraining fatigue, or just exertion exaustion, and will mean different things to everyone. To me it's just varying degrees of not feeling my best.

jellywerker

Reaction score
Way to be a dick and have to put me on the defensive :p

I'll admit it, I lost once in the past two seasons. It's when you have a team of guys that can't push themselves that hard that you don't win, at least in rowing.

But anyways, that's neither here nor there.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif

I've experienced that too. Personally I don't consider that fatigue. If you stop pushing yourself at that point you aren't mentally prepared. That is a pain threshold that training and will take over. That is why a 2k erg test is harder than a 2k on the water... I've done a lot of sports but I have found rowing and rowers in general are more prepared and mentally strong than any group of athletes I have ever been around, don't get me wrong. I've been there too and the feeling is great.

I feel fatigue as being more related to overworking over longer amounts of time. If I run a half marathon, when I am done I am not fatigued, I'm tired as ****, but if I tapered accordingly and followed a solid routine and ate properly then by no means should I be fatigued. If I decided to go out and do another half marathon the next day at the same intensity, something I am not prepared for, then I can develop fatigue. It varies I suppose for different people, but there is a difference from being tired, even vomiting after a race, and being fatigued. I am speaking only to physical though, not mental.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit it, I lost once in the past two seasons. It's when you have a team of guys that can't push themselves that hard that you don't win, at least in rowing.

Right, but thats not a factor of fatigue, at least not on race day.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
No no no. You push yourself to your limit so you can get better.
If not, all football players would quit when they get winded and not gulp down tanks of O2 at the sideline. You think Phelps wasn't tired after getting his 4th gold medal? You think Lance didn't think of stopping when he is cycling through the high altitude French alps.

Limits and fatigue are excuses for losers. Push yourself and create new or no limits for yourself. I train till I am on the verge of retching. I don't because I don't eat nothing before my workout.

I am curious what you train? Football players train to peak every 7th day, they have a massive off-season to recover and rebuild, they go all out on the 7th day because it is their job. Do you think they go all out the 6 days in between? ... Comparing world-class athletes who dedicate their lives to the moments you describe to issues of fatigue doesn't equate IMO.

And no, Lance did not think about stopping.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Olympic lifters, MMA fighters, top athletes of all kinds use periodization so they can peak for competition.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I am curious what you train? Football players train to peak every 7th day, they have a massive off-season to recover and rebuild, they go all out on the 7th day because it is their job. Do you think they go all out the 6 days in between? ... Comparing world-class athletes who dedicate their lives to the moments you describe to issues of fatigue doesn't equate IMO.

And no, Lance did not think about stopping.

Originally Posted by Eason
Olympic lifters, MMA fighters, top athletes of all kinds use periodization so they can peak for competition.

Plenty of runners, cyclists, etc. train well below their capacity day in and day out in order to put it all on the line on race day. There's a major difference between daily training and race day effort. If you train like every day is a race day, you'll burn out or get injured in no time.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Plenty of runners, cyclists, etc. train well below their capacity day in and day out in order to put it all on the line on race day. There's a major difference between daily training and race day effort. If you train like every day is a race day, you'll burn out or get injured in no time.
Yep. One of the best things an amateur runner/cyclist can do is to keep the easy days easy.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Yep. One of the best things an amateur runner/cyclist can do is to keep the easy days easy.

Frank Shorter ('72 Olympic marathon gold medalist) made it a point to keep his easy days EASY. One account has Shorter on an easy run being passed by girls wearing sorority sweatshirts.

But when he got to the track for a hard day, look out!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Frank Shorter ('72 Olympic marathon gold medalist) made it a point to keep his easy days EASY. One account has Shorter on an easy run being passed by girls wearing sorority sweatshirts.

But when he got to the track for a hard day, look out!

Yea, it is kinda comical to do see some XC runners on easy days doing walk looks like a run/walk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads