• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you deal with conflict in the real business world?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
My question seems a little bit vague.

What I'm trying to ask you guys is that how do you come with solutions when you are confronted with challenges between you and your co-workers.

In college, when I dealt with people who were not as cooperative, I'd let them go from my team if I were a project manager for that specific class. This may seem a little bit extreme, but when I said somebody who was not a team player, I meant that he/she has never come to the meeting, seemed to always find reasons to never finish their work on time, and was given so many chances to prove themselves, but still didn't give a damn.

When I was telling this story to somebody, that person said that I was immature because in the real business, you will end up working with somebody who is egoistic and ignorant, but you will to have to tough it out or you simply quit and move on.

Because I don't have a lot of work experience, I don't know what it would be like to deal with this type of people. Any suggestion would be appreciated. In summary, how do you influence others (especially those who are headstrong) to do what they are supposed to do?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, picture this situation.

Your organisation has a month to deliver A, B, C results to investors and other stakeholders.

Every single person has been pulling overtime and weekends to get this done.

People are getting short tempered.

You are where the buck stops.

Number 2 just dressed down a senior team member in public for trying (and failing) to optimise something out of his own initiative.

What do you do?

Aspergers boy hasn't been showering in a week and he's routinely insulting his team members for not knowing as much as he does. In fact, there's talk of mutiny and your most senior software guy has just refused to work with him.

What do you do?

These are real issues in the workplace, think these through and good luck.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basically, what he said.

i have one guy on my team that I really hate working with. he's a good producer, but I am convinced that he would be replacable. the thing is, it could take me 6 months to replace him and get a guy up and running, so do I suck it up or do I push him out or fire him? that is the real world.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the stuff you learn through experience and can't be fully learned in school.

I used to work at a manufacturing company, where employees and even some management members don't speak English. There's been a few times when coworkers and employees rebuttal-ed me with comments like "You think you're a hot shot because you have a master's degree? You're 25 years old, I've been at the company longer than you've been alive". I've also been threatened physically several times by employees. I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm sure I will face more interesting situations in the future.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the stuff you learn through experience and can't be fully learned in school.
I used to work at a manufacturing company, where employees and even some management members don't speak English. There's been a few times when coworkers and employees rebuttal-ed me with comments like "You think you're a hot shot because you have a master's degree? You're 25 years old, I've been at the company longer than you've been alive". I've also been threatened physically several times by employees. I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm sure I will face more interesting situations in the future.
Hot shot, just joking. Couldn't agree more.

Temudjin

Reaction score
Somebody's already said it. Experience is your best teacher. The more business conflicts you're in, the better you will get at handling it as time goes on. Sometimes asking advice from a senior colleague, independent of the conflict, can offer a different perspective that could help.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you finally grow up you realize that adults are just little children who have developed more complex ways of having tantrums. It's exhausting and everytime I see dead weight at work, I wish HR would go away so they can be canned immediately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads