• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you dance?

kdh

Reaction score
Seriously, I just don't get it.

How do you learn to dance at clubs. I'm getting sick of watching everyone and just want to join in instead of hanging out at the bar all the time. It really sucks when a good-looking lady sends the "signals" and I can't really go out and dance with her.

Everyone says, "Just feel the music...." "Let your body flow...." But that just isn't enough. Are some people just born to dance while others aren't?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
 Are some people just born to dance while others aren't?
Some people are definitely born w/more of a sense of rhythm than others, but that can usually be learned. If you're serious about it, don't just go out there and grind w/some gal. It's pathetic, looks cheesy, and is just too pedestrian. Set up a video camera and just rock out w/it, then watch it and see what looks not-too-bad and what just looks bad (all the time hoping to God nobody else sees it). Go to a rave and watch some of those kids, there's a few that know what they're doing. And a lesson or two couldn't hurt, there's plent of places that offer 'street' style dance lessons.

Other than that, start listening more critically to the rhythm section in songs. Learn when the up beats and down beats and hesitants are. Do a lot of finger tapping, then transpose that to the rest of your body (for instance, start by letting your index finger hit the snare and middle finger the kick, then start moving your shoulders to the snare and feet to the kick). Hopefully you'll get to the point where girls say "wow, that kid can dance a little," instead of just being another dude w/his ******** up against some gals rear.

Heron

Reaction score
One word - "lessons"

I'm not talking about ballroom dancing, they can teach any style you want to learn.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance." - Martha Graham

It's a matter of being comfortable, dance like nobody's watching. Have fun, don't be self conscious, and relax.  You get better by doing it.  Seriously, if you look like you're having fun, nobody's going to bother thinking bad things about you. If you really need help, take a class.

(ken)
Other than that, start listening more critically to the rhythm section in songs. Learn when the up beats and down beats and hesitants are. Do a lot of finger tapping, then transpose that to the rest of your body...

excellent advice as well.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just bust out a combo of the dance moves from Hitch, She's All That, and American Pie 3, and you'll be in like flynn.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DDR of course.

seriously though i got caught up in the swing craze of the late 90s and never really let go. but for me it was all about taking classes and going out dancing as often as possible. also, find someone whos style you like and try to imitate it. don't worry, in time you'll definitely develop your own style. i can't imagine it would be all that different for hip-hop, street, rave or whatever dance you want to do.

and when you're ready to ask her to dance, don't think about it for a second. just do it. (much easier said than done of course)

-Jeff

kdh

Reaction score
DDR of course.

seriously though i got caught up in the swing craze of the late 90s and never really let go. but for me it was all about taking classes and going out dancing as often as possible. also, find someone whos style you like and try to imitate it. don't worry, in time you'll definitely develop your own style. i can't imagine it would be all that different for hip-hop, street, rave or whatever dance you want to do.

and when you're ready to ask her to dance, don't think about it for a second. just do it. (much easier said than done of course)

-Jeff
Good stuff so far, guys.

I guess I'll look into lessons. (Incidently, some friends have recently asked me to come along to a salsa class.)

spatten

Reaction score
I'd so go for that salsa class. Once you figure salsa rhythms out - rave, club music will be simple. Plus you can carryover your salsa style to the clubs to some extent.

YMark

Reaction score
I only dance horizontal.
tounge.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Have you seen the movie "Hitch"? If you're not comfortable dancing, I would highly recommend the advice that Will Smith gives to Kevin James about dancing. Keep it tight and just move back and forth... "You live here" Bradford
biggrin.gif

Cliff

Reaction score
Bradford,

Second the motion on "Hitch", great advice for first timers and a lot of folks who think they can dance.

kdh

Reaction score
Have you seen the movie "Hitch"? If you're not comfortable dancing, I would highly recommend the advice that Will Smith gives to Kevin James about dancing. Keep it tight and just move back and forth... "You live here" Bradford
biggrin.gif
LOL I actually saw the movie and really paid attention to that part. That's where I plan to "move."

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I just don't get it.

How do you learn to dance at clubs.  I'm getting sick of watching everyone and just want to join in instead of hanging out at the bar all the time.  It really sucks when a good-looking lady sends the "signals" and I can't really go out and dance with her.

Everyone says, "Just feel the music...."  "Let your body flow...."  But that just isn't enough.  Are some people just born to dance while others aren't?
Only Smurf

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads