1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you dance?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kdh, Mar 26, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Please just write your explanation in French. There are enough of us who can read French and translate into ntelligible English for the rest of the forum.

2. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(ernest @ Mar. 29 2005,15:14)
    Quote Only Smurf
    Huh? Â Please elaborate.

I'm also intrigued. I'm just gonna assume "you're a small, blue creature" is some sort of French slang, and 'smurf' is the best English translation he could come up with.
    BReak dance
    What on earth? At least tell us in French because in English this makes no sense[/quote] I love it, I love it. [​IMG]

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Oui Ernest, en Français s'il vous plaÃ[​IMG]t.

Jon.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

5. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

My advice is stick to a one-two step. If it's reggae just grab on to her waist and follow along.

6. Loranga

Loranga Member

I have the same problem, and I it´s funny that there is a recent topic about it here since I´ve just been at a party where most of the guests were doing no more than dancing all night long which kind of made my evening there pretty dull...

I belong to the group of people who can´t dance.

But no one understood me that night, when I said so and was dragged out to the dance floor, which I left just as fast.

But seriously, it´s not about rythm, I´ve been a drummer for quite some time and I really feel that I have no problems with the sync. I have no problems with the actual dance and I KNOW that there is no importance of how skilled you are as a dancer on a dance floor like this.

It´s all about having fun on the floor, being able to let go and relax- which I can´t. I just don´t find dancing funny and I feel so uninpsired when I try. I can´t even do it when I´m home by my self.

I use to say that "It is true that not everyone can dance- Just like not anyone can play jazz- You need to have it in your soul" hehe.

7. kdh

kdh Active Member

Yeah, my problem isn't the rythm either; I'm actually better than average , musically.

I just can't "translate" music into actual body movement; something gets lost between my head and my legs.  Either that, or (more likely), I'm just thinking too much about things and not letting myself go into that sort of primal autopilot mode that it appears many people can get into.

I still think it's possible for someone like me to learn though.  There's always a way....

8. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

One of the biggest things about dancing is just letting yourself go. I suggest just putting on a good funk CD (I suggest Sly and the Family Stone, Earth, Wind, & Fire, et al) at home and just letting loose. Don't worry how you look or how stupid you feel at first, just let er' rip, no one is going to see you. Plus it's fun to play music really, really loud.

As time passes you'll just get more comfortable moving your body. Next thing you know you'll be going to a club and scoping out other people's moves to copy than you are on your way to dancing with all the sweet ladies.  

A.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

10. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    hahaha [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Seriously, good advice.  This is why so many WASPs can't
    dance as adults.  The ones that can (and I know a few who can really shake their stuff) grew up in households where danceable music was playing all the time.  It's like learning to walk.  I suggest Outkast.

12. Loranga

Loranga Member

I suppose I should try that aswell. Club dancing is like whine, coffee and whisky. If you don´t like them, you should learn to like them because of sociality. [​IMG]

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I used to teach Lindy Hop as well as DJ Jazz and Swing music.

Club dancing is easy, the cardinal rule is don't overdo it. Listen for and follow the bass line.

I wouldn't advise video. That's a sure-fire way to make yourself 10x more self-conscious than you would be otherwise, and needlessly. Nobody likes the way the look on film.

If you want practice, I would always tell my students to listen to the music, because most people came into my classes having little to no exposure to swing music. Listen to it in your car, office, iPod, wherever. By comparison, club music and pretty much all other idioms of popular music are much more rhythmically simplistic.

14. Eric

Eric Senior member

My advise is to dive into it and get as much experience as possible. When I started clubbing I was TERRIBLE at dancing, I didn't have trouble meeting girls, but when it got to dancing I was really fast at losing them, but I kept with it and eventually learned to dance a bit at least. I'm at the point now where half the girls I dance with compiment me on my dancing prowess while the other half split between thinking I'm OK and the other half thinking I suck at dancing, while I think about the same of them. I would advise you to go out alot and dance with as many girls as possible and you will naturally learn from experience.

Eric

15. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

16. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior member

I'm assuming you mean dancing in clubs (dance, rave, techno, hiphop). I've been bboying (breakdancing) for a bunch of years now. I've pretty much been complemented on my dancing regardless of where I've gone. I essentially do some uprocking (breakdancing on your feet) mixed with that terrible crip-walk, two-step garbage that most people think is "hip-hop" so that I don't look too alien. However, even if you don't plan on learning how to break/bboy, you can still rip it up on the dance floor. Groove to the music. That being said, there are some very important things you should remember.
    1) You're usually dancing with someone, not for someone. Don't break it down in a club... that's just rude.

2) The biggest problem with people in clubs is that they don't move their feet. You must, MUST, move your feet. Even if you do that terrible dance in Hitch it's better than nothing.

3) Try dancing with a girl instead of just grinding with her. That's a major turn-off for most girls.

4) When they feel the beat, they literally mean feel the beat. At home, turn the music on so loud with bass so that you can literally feel the thumping. One of the best ways to learn how to dance is to march. March on beat. After you've marched on beat then you can start moving your hips a bit. Remember, your body is a unit. Don't get caught moving only your upper body and not your lower body or vice versa.

5) Try not to do too much with your arms. As funny as you think the funky chicken is, it really isn't a good way to impress anyone... and is liable to get you tossed.

6) I guess the last piece of advice I have for now is PRACTICE. It's not easy to dance well, and you have to try to do it well. At home, dance in front of a mirror. You should have a general idea of what looks good and what doesn't. If the club you're going to a club that throws down hip hop, don't salsa or tango.

P.S. If you want more advice from me just respond to the post =)

17. kdh

kdh Active Member

Hey, thanks.  

I can feel music, and I can move in-time very well.  I'm never off beat.  Went out to clubs a few times since my first post, and I'm to the point now where I (cautiously) do the "Hitch" routine.  People I'm with say I look pretty "normal" except that I need to "loosen up" more and move my hips and upper body.

OK, using Hitch as a foundation, what would you suggest I learn to with myself above my feet?

18. Eric

Eric Senior member

Oh lord, thank you for that. Wait till my next trip out, I'm gonna tear the club up... Eric

19. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

If none of those dances work, you could always do the Elaine. [​IMG] Bradford