• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you clean your ties?

rjt65

Reaction score
+1

Just unleashed my Ties that I kept rolled up for mucho years. Prefer not to dry clean as well, planning to check out my wife's steamer.

here are some other threads in here and the web on steaming ties etc.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=19472

http://www.ehow.com/video_4409925_steam-tie.html

cheers

Originally Posted by GQhustler
I have many ties that need cleaning and have no idea how to go about this. I would rather not dry clean as I know it's not good for any article of clothing. So how do you guys do it?

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Unless there is a stain, why would a tie need to be cleaned? If there is a stain, you can try soda water or a couple other remedies. Dry cleaning is iffy; a good one can sometimes save the tie, but I would not count on it.

Sometimes you just have to replace them.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My washing machine has a steam-cleaning option. I put the ties in a special pouch and use delicate steam-clean option.

Lowndes

Reaction score
I wish I knew how to do this too. I have a beatiful navy grenadine tie that has a queso stain that I would love to get out.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiecrafters.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BaaBaaBlackFleece

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Tiecrafters.

this.

I've never had the need to use their services, but from the number of rec.'s I have seen I don't think I'd bother with anywhere else.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried dry cleaning once but it didn't work out well.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for all of those who have used TieCrafters: What's included in their tie cleaning process? They said 10 steps, but I found no where on the website the details of the 10 steps.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjt65
+1 Just unleashed my Ties that I kept rolled up for mucho years. Prefer not to dry clean as well, planning to check out my wife's steamer. here are some other threads in here and the web on steaming ties etc. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=19472 http://www.ehow.com/video_4409925_steam-tie.html cheers
If you're only looking to "undo" the rolled fabric, it is fairly easy. Steam the tie, but make sure that it's through another layer. Typically, I put thick cotton sheet over my tie and then steam it. Usually, letting them hang for a few days brings them back to their original shape.
Originally Posted by JayJay
I tried dry cleaning once but it didn't work out well.
Exactly. Dry cleaners usually mess up ties more than clean them. After a favorite Marinella of mine was stained with a drop of wine, I took them to the dry cleaners -- the idiots ironed the tie and completely messed it up. After that, I'd rather wear the stain with pride than give 'em to dry cleaners.

rjt65

Reaction score
+1

Just unleashed my Ties that I kept rolled up for mucho years. Prefer not to dry clean as well, planning to check out my wife's steamer.

Here are some other threads in here and the web on steaming ties etc.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=19472

http://www.ehow.com/video_4409925_steam-tie.html

cheers

Originally Posted by GQhustler
I have many ties that need cleaning and have no idea how to go about this. I would rather not dry clean as I know it's not good for any article of clothing. So how do you guys do it?

rgoldstein

Reaction score
My Dad. I don't know what he does but I've given him some nasty looking numbers (coffee, chocolate, you name it...I've gotten it on a tie) and 10 mins later he emerges from wherever he went to clean it and its spotless.

He said windex is involved.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
My Dad. I don't know what he does but I've given him some nasty looking numbers (coffee, chocolate, you name it...I've gotten it on a tie) and 10 mins later he emerges from wherever he went to clean it and its spotless.

He said windex is involved.

You guys are Greek, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads