• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Choose Your Battles?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, some guy tailgated me for about a mile and a half and then when I was turning left he drove real close to my car on the right and yelled "asshole" out the window at me.

A guy at work simply doesn't do a part of his job and tries to pass it on to me. He then tells my supervisor (constantly) about how I don't do anything and I'm worthless.

I think my supervisor believes him...

Blah, blah, blah...

When does one take a stand? What are the good battles to pick and the ones to let go?

While I'm a pretty laid back and tolerant person, I don't want to end up like Michael Douglas in Falling Down but I'm wondering what battles you find worth fighting?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pick the ones that you can win.

the smartest thing that you can do is not start a battle that you will lose.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
If I end up losing sleep over something then it becomes a question of how to battle.

...I almost always prefer mano a mano

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find that if you nip things in the bud early you will save yourself a lot of stress later.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
pick the ones that you can win.

the smartest thing that you can do is not start a battle that you will lose.

+1

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nathaniel72
If I end up losing sleep over something then it becomes a question of how to battle.

...I almost always prefer mano a mano

Are we talking pistols? Swords? Or, maybe boxing?
boxing[1].gif

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought.

Funny, that book has been on my reading list forever. Any suggestions on a good translation and commentary?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Clavell made a short and simple version.

coldnyt1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
So, some guy tailgated me for about a mile and a half and then when I was turning left he drove real close to my car on the right and yelled "asshole" out the window at me.

A guy at work simply doesn't do a part of his job and tries to pass it on to me. He then tells my supervisor (constantly) about how I don't do anything and I'm worthless.

I think my supervisor believes him...

Blah, blah, blah...

When does one take a stand? What are the good battles to pick and the ones to let go?

While I'm a pretty laid back and tolerant person, I don't want to end up like Michael Douglas in Falling Down but I'm wondering what battles you find worth fighting?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

for me .. the smartest thing to do ever.. just STAY AWAY from those *****... remind yourself .. that you are much BETTER than those little P....Y

Big T

Reaction score
A battle won is a battle not fought.

Several years ago, I telephoned a customer to speak to the owner, who I hadn't heard from in some time. I was put through to his brother, that explained to me several months earlier he had died. As I had met the gentleman once, several years earlier, and his age was close to mine, I asked for the circumstances. His brother explained that his vehicle was bumped and he had words with the other driver. As it was a minor accident, police were not called (I also assumed that the "words" may have been a little more than "words"). Anyhow, he left the accident scene, heading home. The other driver followed him and when he got out of his vehicle, he ran him down. He died a day or so later from the injuries.

Me, I'm quick tempered and I have to work at containing my mouth. The older I get the better I control my temper.

marg

Reaction score
handle that work issue because that will only escalate.

the guy that tailgates you, **** 'em! drive slower.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as crazy drivers, let it pass, not worth it.
Your coworker you shouldn't let him do that to you. Outperform the coworker and make sure the supervisor notices. Thus, you can passive aggressively take care of that problem. Those kinds of people eventually always get caught.
Dont let people get to you, choose your battles carefully and read art of war.
good luck

SladeDT

Reaction score
yeah. outshine that d-bag at work. forget about the traffic crap though. everyone has a gun in their car now a days and they apparently are stupid enough to use it.

Monaco

Reaction score
You should also weigh in the facts that if you choose to proceed with said battle, how it will affect your tomorrow and those around you. When it comes to the guy at your workplace blaming you for absent work, just write down the things you've been assigned and keep a report that documents which assignments you've completed. You can even send a monthly report to your boss to show you are serious about your work and that you're actually doing it all. Win-win if you ask me.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are two good rules to follow (I am serious):

1. Never go to battle with someone who has less to lose than you do.
2. If you are not sure about #1, don't go to battle.

Bonus rule:
1. Ask yourself if this issue will matter to you next month. In the case of traffic slights, the answer will always be "no".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads