1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your stuff around?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nordicstyle, Dec 31, 2008.

1. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

A Filson zippered tote would work. Another option is the field bags which are a messenger style bag with handle and strap. I own both and use them constantly.

3. nordicstyle

Adidas, Gola and Fred Perry all have their own versions of the shoulder zip bag.
    [​IMG]

I looked up a couple of those, and they all seem to be too small to carry a 15" laptop. As I said in the original post, I also need room for a water bottle and some food, but I'm considering getting one of those zip-bags for when I'm not carrying a laptop.

4. nordicstyle

After looking around some retail stores for a few days now, I ended up with this (very cheap) laptop bag:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not the most classy, but for $40 I don't really care. It was pretty much the least ugly cheap suitcase I could find. [​IMG] At least now I have somewhere to put my laptop while looking (and saving up money) for a decent bag. I doubt I will ever use the document folder thinge (or whatever that is), but it also has a small pocket on the front (as shown in the upper picture), where I can keep my water bottle, fruit and food.

The brand is Luca Vergani, but considering the price, I doubt anyone cares... [​IMG]

I did also check out some "serious" alternatives, like several Samsonite bags, but what surprised me was that even though they cost up to ten times as much, they didn't really look that much better. Also, even on the most expensive executive models, the shoulder strap was too short for me to carry it across my chest as a messenger bag. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it does seem a bit strange.

5. NinthCircle

NinthCircle Well-Known Member

I like the sleekness of messenger bags, but I agree with Rach that they can be hard on your clothes. The best of both worlds is a messenger bag that has a handle in addition to the shoulder strap. That way you can carry it like briefcase when you're wearing something that would be easily damaged by the shoulder strap.

It can be hard to find messenger bags with handles, but this one looks pretty good and I may be purchasing one soon: http://www.customhide.com/barrister.html.

Timbuktu bags can be configured with both handle and shoulder strap. You can build a custom bag via their web site, and the bags are made in the USA.

6. Lear

Lear Senior member

SeV gear is great for carrying stuff.

http://www.scottevest.com

The Hidden Cargo Pants are perfect for when you're travelling.

Lear

7. jpo

jpo Senior member

I went through the same dilemma when I changed client locations. I went from carrying a laptop every day to now just carrying my own small amount of stuff: lunch, apple, water bottle, ipod, headphones, and a little paperwork.

I don't wear a suit every day, so got one of these messenger bags. They are made for bicycle messengers, so very rugged, but super urban. They are pretty cool. A little funky if you're doing the suit.
    However, now I'm thinking about a briefcase myself for when I'm dressed up. But, for going casual these messengers rock.

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I would like to use an attache case but am worried it would be too precious at my age.

9. nordicstyle

10. samurai

samurai Senior member

The above Just For Leather bags are great looking. Just about the nicest for my money.

I have a few leather brief-cases, but recently picked up a khaki colored canvas messenger bag from Army Surplus on Venice and Motor in L.A. It's 12" x 14", and for $15.- was a nice buy.

I like materials that will develop interesting wear over time, so I go for canvas and leather over nylon or acrylic.

11. nordicstyle

Here are some pictures of the bag I mentioned above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's slightly smaller than I had expected, so a few millimeters of my laptop (15.4") sticks up over the top, but it's not noticeable when the cover is closed. Overall I'm very happy with the design and looks. Quality also seems decent.

12. Irond Will

Irond Will Senior member

I've been using a Mulholland Angler's Bag in Lariat (but darkened with Obenauf's and Lexol). I like it a lot, even if I do have the cheaper Sierra version.

13. kaczmar2

kaczmar2 Well-Known Member

I think they look a bit too much like shopping bags, but maybe I could pull off something like this:

[​IMG]

I don't normally wear a suit, so I think the shoulder strap can be quite useful.

Not sure how big your laptop is, but I have occasionally put my laptop in a Cole Haan messenger bag.

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

15. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

I carry a briefcase, but for one particular task I need to carry a large mass of stuff while simultaneously wearing a suit. For that I use this tote from Hulme
    [​IMG]
    Girly or not its the most efficient way to carry bulky stuff.

16. GoAussieGo

GoAussieGo Active Member

17. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

I use one of these Tumi bags. I'm not really a fan of black leather...especially black leather with nylon zippers, but this thing is so damn functional I can't part with it. It's perfect for my blackberry, cell phone, wallet, travel documents, camera, book, and a couple of diapers (for my daughter, not for me).

I've had it for years, so it's starting to look pretty beat up...that's a good thing.

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472...ei=450&wid=360

18. oli2140

oli2140 Active Member

19. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Well-Known Member

Tumi balistic nylon messenger bag.

20. HHD

HHD Senior member